ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC purchase scheme at work

Leon Cupra
We’ve been offered to buy PC’s through a scheme at work. As I was thinking about replacing my PC anyhow I was trying to decide if this was a deal worth taking up.

I’ll type out the specification for the PC I was looking at and see if you guys think its good value for money.

CPU – Pentium 4 820 dual core
Mainboard – uATX Intel i945p PCIe
Memory – 2048mb (doesn’t say what brand)
HDD – 2x 160gb SATA (doesn’t say what brand)
Optical Drives – DVD-ROM and 16x DVD writer
Graphics – PCIe ATI Radeon X1300 256mb
Speakers and Subwoofer
Wireless keyboard and mouse
10/100 LAN
PCI Wireless G card
2x firewire
6x USB 2
19” TFT monitor
and a rake load of software.

The purchase plan is a 3 year scheme and it will work out to £33.80 a month and will have a £70 final payment at the end of the 3 years

So in total will work out to £1286.80 which will be taken directly out of my wages.

What you lot think??

172 Cup
Graphics card could be better the rest is ok. However 3 years is an eternity when it comes to computers/technology and by the time it's paid off it will be dated and of substantially less value.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ Agreed, if you can try and reduce it to a payments over a year at most.

Leon Cupra
been looking through the terms and i can upgrade it but it will void the warranty:(

Its all intrest free so that’s one good thing

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Tim-Grove said:
We’ve been offered to buy PC’s through a scheme at work. As I was thinking about replacing my PC anyhow I was trying to decide if this was a deal worth taking up.

I’ll type out the specification for the PC I was looking at and see if you guys think its good value for money.

CPU – Pentium 4 820 dual core
Mainboard – uATX Intel i945p PCIe
Memory – 2048mb (doesn’t say what brand)
HDD – 2x 160gb SATA (doesn’t say what brand)
Optical Drives – DVD-ROM and 16x DVD writer
Graphics – PCIe ATI Radeon X1300 256mb
Speakers and Subwoofer
Wireless keyboard and mouse
10/100 LAN
PCI Wireless G card
2x firewire
6x USB 2
19” TFT monitor
and a rake load of software.

The purchase plan is a 3 year scheme and it will work out to £33.80 a month and will have a £70 final payment at the end of the 3 years

So in total will work out to £1286.80 which will be taken directly out of my wages.

What you lot think??

where do you work? i got offered something like this through tesco, it comes off your wages before tax aswel so saves you even more!

Octavia VRS
Girlfriend had this at Sky, we read the agreement but decided not to go for it, mainly due to me being able to get a good specc'd up Dell machine for the same discounted price my work pays

mk2 172
thats the fujitsu siemens one right through lets connect?, i work for siemens and we get it for 24.10, i got my mum and dad one, my mate was gonna get it too until i told him what i get it for and in rage he decided not too lol cos his was 10 quid more a month

Leon Cupra
yeah it is mate

Ive put a bit of a list together from overclockers that im gona run past my mate who knows a lot more about PC’s than me

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO ICEQII TURBO 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB)
Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
Pioneer DVR-110DSV 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Silver)
Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM (Silver)
OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Silver
Akasa Serial ATA Silver Data Cable
Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE Cable - Metal Braided
Akasa Rounded Floppy Cable - Metal Braided
CoolerMaster Ammo 533 Aluminum Case (No PSU) - Silver
Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Hyundai ImageQuest B91A 19" LCD Monitor - Black
Saitek PZ30AU Eclipse Illuminated Keyboard

Total £1,049.40

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
What are you going to be using it for m8? Generally, I recommend that you build it yourself if you are able. The Opteron 939 processors are offering some good performance for the money right now.

Oh....and avoid at all costs overclockers. Go with a company who have customer service such as cpucity or kustom. It will save you all sorts of headaches in the long run.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
its a good scheme as some one pointed out its before tax deduction. although its a renting scheme, ur not actually purchasing the comp as at the end of the rent period u usally purchase the comp at a low residual value as like someone said its a 3 yr old comp and will be worthless. well thats how the scheme works at my place (work for accountants). also the company u work for gets to claim the vat back on the comps too.

Leon Cupra
Evil Ally said:
What are you going to be using it for m8? Generally, I recommend that you build it yourself if you are able. The Opteron 939 processors are offering some good performance for the money right now.

Oh....and avoid at all costs overclockers. Go with a company who have customer service such as cpucity or kustom. It will save you all sorts of headaches in the long run.

Usual stuff

browsing the net
downloading "Large" files;)
writing DVD's
gaming e.g CS:source, BF2, Quake 4, ect

I only live about half hour from overclockers been there loads of times. So i will be going up there in person to buy the stuff and if i have probs i'll go up there to drop the "nut" on them lol:D

Monaro VXR
Tim-Grove said:
yeah it is mate

Ive put a bit of a list together from overclockers that im gona run past my mate who knows a lot more about PC’s than me

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 GTO ICEQII TURBO 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB)
Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
Pioneer DVR-110DSV 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Silver)
Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM (Silver)
OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Silver
Akasa Serial ATA Silver Data Cable
Akasa Rounded Ultra ATA133/100/66 IDE Cable - Metal Braided
Akasa Rounded Floppy Cable - Metal Braided
CoolerMaster Ammo 533 Aluminum Case (No PSU) - Silver
Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Hyundai ImageQuest B91A 19" LCD Monitor - Black
Saitek PZ30AU Eclipse Illuminated Keyboard

Total £1,049.40

Id change the graphics card for an nvidia one or change the mobo for an ATI one. just means if you do fancy adding in a 2nd card makes it easier. Heard of issues running dual ati cards on nforce4 chipsets. They just dont work that often.

A4 Avant & A3
We have been offered the fujitsu deal at work aswell..
Although the ones we had weren't all that good, you could goto pcworld & buy the same one for less....
I was thinking of getting a laptop through it, but it didn't work out a very good deal in the end.
A few people at work bought one, (one's hard drives already failed lol)
The laptops are actually pretty smart, but nothing you couldn't pick up elsewhere on a finance scheme (if you wanted) for the same overall price. (which i thought was a bit of a scam as it's advertised as being really cheap!)

As said above, the one i was offered was over 3 years with a final payment of around £60 i think which was a disposal fee??? you have to pay them to take it back, then you can upgrade to the new one out.

I decided i didn't actually need a new pc anyway lol just wanted one :)
I would probably just gradually upgrade my desktop that i built anyway.
and i acquired a nice little laptop, good enough for surfing the net wirelessly in the front room now aswell.

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
Do you need it so high spec? You could save some cash by getting hardware in the sweet spot instead. AMD 3500 & 2Gb RAM seems extreme to me for every day use - you could pull one of those sticks out and I bet it wouldn't run any differently.

Know what you mean about Overclockers, they're fine as long as you can get there easy to shout demands if things go wrong. I just go to places closer to work now and get them to price match odd bits from overclockers from the website. Doubt they'd do a whole system tho.