ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Persistent engine check light & electronic fault lights

Persistent engine check light & electronic fault lights with limp home too

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie, and I'm hoping the group's collective knowledge can identify and ultimately help fix a persistent problem on my 172 Cup. So, sorry for the long post but here goes ...

For some time the amber check engine light has been on. It used to go away sometimes, usually on a long journey, but would come back after a few days. However it is permanently on now.

Now the amber "Preheating/electronic fault" light is also coming on (the one below the low fuel warning light). Generally it comes on a short time after starting the car and driving off. Usually the engine goes very stuttery with very poor throttle response, then the light comes on and the car is in limp-home mode. I can clear it (though not the check engine light) by cycling the ignition, but it's usually only a temporary fix, and I have to keep doing it until the car is fully warmed up. It's worse if the car is driven on a constant throttle such as cruising on a long road that has a 30 or 40 mph limit. It's worse if the car has been parked overnight in the rain. It can also come on when on the motorway or similar when I have been driving for some time at around 80mph (3750rpm) but then have to drop my speed to say 50mph in roadworks.

Even when I can get the car to run vaguely OK, it feels very coarse and down on power, as if it is running lean or retarding the timing. MPG is good though :eek:

Reading around the forum, my guess is that the upstream oxygen (lambda) sensor is gone - can anyone confirm this or suggest what else it might be?

I have had my usual (independent) garage take a look but they say they can't find anything in the fault codes. I don't know if they have a "full" diagnostic tool that can also read emissions codes

It all sounds very similar to Saturday's post http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=422800

Any help appreciated as the car is becoming a right PITA ...

DanD

Last edited:
  Ph2 Clio 172
Hi Dan,

Not a great deal of help, but I've had a good search on here now I'm on the laptop, and it seems the most common problem would be the throttlebody itself either needs a good cleaning out, or replacing.

I've not read much on the lambda sensor *goes off to do a better search*

However, I've been advised to get it on the diag-test to tell 100% obviously.

I'm gonna disconnect the battery and reconnect it in a few hours to see if that works first lol on Rexe's say so!

Let us know if you find anything more

Ta