Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal reg’s

has anybody had to take a personal reg off when selling there car?? if so how do you go about it and get a replacement reg for the car??? desperate to sell my saxo n get a 172 so help pls!!!

cheers jon
  Clio 1.6 16V

You have to put the private reg on retention using a DVLA retention form (get from PO). Depending on age (+/-3yrs) they will send out an amended registration document/MOT/tax disk on the new number (equivalent for area/age). Old car will then get plates with replacement no. You will then get a retention certificate from DVLA for your private reg which you can use to register your new vehicle.

If you are trading in a vehicle, most dealers will do this for you and charge you the £80 transfer fee (£105 if you have to retain the number for a period before putting on a new vehicle). Ive done this twice in the past without problems.

Hope this makes sense and helps!