ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol Smell When Switching Car On

Clio 1.2 Expression
Whenever i switch the car on, you can smell petrol outside :(, i think there is too much oil in the engine.Is this a bad problem?

R35 GTR
should be between max and min markers, chances are your car is just over fueling, running rich at start up.

Not sure if its a problem though.

Clio 1.2 Expression
Dave3141 said:
should be between max and min markers, chances are your car is just over fueling, running rich at start up.

Not sure if its a problem though.

yeah i know thanks, i checked it the other day and its about 1cm over the max, i asked my dad if its way too much but he said the engine sort of bottle necks so its not actually as much as it seems i just included that incase it was part of the reason why the car smells of petrol when i turn it on.

do you know why the car runs rich and will it always?

Clio 1.2 Expression
also, i've just had the car running now and i've noticed that every time its been on after about 5 mins there is a wet patch just under the exhaust (i don't know what it is, but it doesn't smell like petrol)?

its been on a dealers forecourt for a while, i've only just bought it. i don't know whether this has had any effect?

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Won't be nothng to do with your oil reading and a little over the max mark wont do any harm. Just sounds as if it's running rich - get it back to the dealers and ask them to get it tuned. Where is the wet patch on the exhaust exactly, on a join?

Clio 1.2 Expression
JuanBoy said:
Won't be nothng to do with your oil reading and a little over the max mark wont do any harm. Just sounds as if it's running rich - get it back to the dealers and ask them to get it tuned. Where is the wet patch on the exhaust exactly, on a join?

wet patch is on the ground below the car, it appears everytime the car has been on for about 5 mins

maybe its just pissing condensation as the exhaust would have been cold when the engine is turned on?

1.8 Civic EX
Sminp said:
wet patch is on the ground below the car, it appears everytime the car has been on for about 5 mins

maybe its just pissing condensation as the exhaust would have been cold when the engine is turned on?

I would guess thats another sign of it running rich, it's just unburnt fuel dripping out the end of th exhaust probably...

Clio 1.2 Expression
butch172 said:
sound like a fuel leak from the tank sender unit mate, what mark/shape is ur clio?

its a mk2 ph2 04 1.2 3 door expression. you've scared me now! :( this can be fixed under warranty can't it? the liquid from the exhaust doesn't smell like petrol though.

Last edited:
  Stage 2 172 Turbo
too much oil in the engine would not cause a petrol smell, the liquid under the car( if its at the tailpipe end is probably water caused by the catalyst and if its nearer the front its from the air con) lift the rear seat base on the drivers side and remove the black sender cover to check for fuel leak from tank. 04 is still under warranty so let renault sort if out m8!!

Clio 1.2 Expression
butch172 said:
too much oil in the engine would not cause a petrol smell, the liquid under the car( if its at the tailpipe end is probably water caused by the catalyst and if its nearer the front its from the air con) lift the rear seat base on the drivers side and remove the black sender cover to check for fuel leak from tank. 04 is still under warranty so let renault sort if out m8!!

thanks mate, will do that. sounds like water from the catalyst to me as the liquid was only a small amount and was at the tailpipe end. pretty much 100% sure its not petrol.

is water from the catalyst normal or a problem?

Sminp said:
Whenever i switch the car on, you can smell petrol outside :(, i think there is too much oil in the engine.Is this a bad problem?

sorry budd , dav3141 is perfect to ask about oil. (its his speciality - my_cougar49)