ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-quick nonsense?

noticed that a few people that post and own Mk2 Ph1's have ph-quick in their location/profile thingy... what's that all about then?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
an urban myth that the phase 1 172's are the quickest ;)

in your case, jesus it is probably right!

172 Cup
Erm yeah.. Makes perfect sense now.. not

"Phase 1 is ugly and is definately not the quickest" - I'm getting the hang of this!

aaah okay... excuse my ignorance once again, dont really know much about 1*2's apart from there's the ph1 with the rounded bug like lights, but much more agressive bumper/grille combo and then there's the newer light shaped ph2's which are the later 172's and the 182... or would the 182 be ph3... :S lol

Griff, all newer Clio's aint exacly good looking cars, most of em look pretty ghey, bar the cup and trophy, but the ph1's do look fairly agressive once lowered... hate the head lights though, bit too Subaru bug eye for my taste!

hehe, yeah this ones a ph-quick then I suppose Seb! Once I have a few bits sorted it will be a ph-quicker... but the car's known as "FAG 1" on Williams Clio if you see any reference to that (based on an awesome photoshop by 2 live pmsl) lol

172 Cup
TheJesus said:
Griff, all newer Clio's aint exacly good looking cars, most of em look pretty ghey, bar the cup and trophy, but the ph1's do look fairly agressive once lowered... hate the head lights though, bit too Subaru bug eye for my taste!

The comment was for example purposes only :)

also are all the bonnets aluminium on these?

I might have to get the fucker weighed, as no aircon, light weight bonnet, smaller alty (Cup one) and lack of heavy ass looking inlet fanimold makes me think that it may be bang on 1000kg's or so...

VaVa
Only some early Ph1 172's had the Aluminium bonnet. I believ they were in the region of 1035kg standard, so you may well be around the ton mark!!

Mk2 Ph1 172 is what you have.

Mk2 Ph2 172 is what I have.

Mk2 Ph2 182 as it was more of a change in spec than a phase change. 60% of the parts in the ph2's were changed over the Ph1's however.

And yes, they are all gay. lol.

Ph-Quicks are also affectionately referred to as Ph-Ugly as well due to the 'thick as s**t frog' look created by those hideous bulbous headlights.

Get some Ph2 rear lights too. Much nicer.

.Griff. said:
The comment was for example purposes only :)

yeah but it's correct to a fairly large degree ;) lol

Laingo - as I suspected, cheers dude. Like you say, all pretty girly, but I guess half the fun is pasting other bigger machinery... although I only seem to get birds in 318is' trying to bait me at the moment... what the f***s with that? lmao

Jon, you have the quickest ph-quick of them all.

And your bonnet is aluminium. I never weighed the car but I think it's just over a ton.

lol, I was kinda enjoying the attention it gets from the ladies, however I had a bit of a run in the other week... driving down the Kingway section of the A34 towards Manchester with 2 mates in the car and it's a 40mph road and there's a newer shape 318ci in the overtaking lane, but not overtaking. Rather than be a t**t and flash (which tbh I'd normally do if they take the piss) I just decided to have a quick check around and undertake the perp, no traffic, or cops about... safe move. Anyway, pull up at the lights and there's this bangin' blonde in the passenger seat and my mate Sy turns to me saying "I hate women like that, know they are fit and giving you the 'your a piece of s**t' look"... I turned over and she's smiling at me. BONUS, better get her number I'm thinking. Anyway, she puts the window down and says "nice car, I really like those!", I tell her thanks and about to engage in a quick chat and get her number when this 240lb skin head looks over at me with a half smile/grimace on his face that said "what the f**k are you talking to my bird for"... what made it worse was that she carried on making small talk all the while this fucker is staring me down and my mate's saying "get her number you dick!"... erm, um right, this guy clearly isn't happy and is about twice the size of me... not only that but stuck in traffic there's no chance I can ask for her number and talk some smack to the guy and do one! lol

Chris K said:
Jon, you have the quickest ph-quick of them all.

And your bonnet is aluminium. I never weighed the car but I think it's just over a ton.

wooo! good stuff Chris, I think I might have to take it to a weigh bridge and see for sure, as the aircon is 25kgs i'm told (seems alot to me... but...), the alternator is the cup one, not sure on difference there, but the head is much lower with less material, so maybe 1000kg's isn't out the question... be interesting to see anyway!

erm, kinda Jay! lol

Williams had basically annoyed me so much that I had to call time on it. I'd have just taken it off the road and got it all 100% if I didn't need it for work and hadn't already spent a fortune on it, so it was time for a change... It was either PX with Mehdi, or sell the Williams and get a Primera EGT for some cheap reliable fun (which they are, handles on a par with the Clio's but just nowhere near as quick). My mate has a 1.6LX as his runabout (Scooby Turbo for the evenings and weekends) and to be honest I was amazed at how well it handled... so did a bit of research and it's the same chassis as the touring car that cleaned up back in it's day... very under rated! However I think I made the right decision, I've always wanted throttle bodies and have been looking at M3's for almost a year but without joy (I'm extremely fussy when it comes to BMW's).

It started as a Joke by myself and fUbAr and is now makes us both cringe at the sight of it.

Yours I believe would be a ph-quickest :D

YOU CREATED A MONSTER!!!! lol

it may be known as ph-quickest on here... on WC it's taken the new title of "FAG 1" thanks to an old Craggy photoshop that 2 live dug out (you must have seen it, funny as hell!)... so I guess there are downsides!

once this bad boy arrives www.vems.co.uk/wideband.html and it's remaped it should be ph-quickererthanbefore anyway and no judder!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Never thought i'd see the day when the jesus buys a 172. I knew all that slating was just jealousy ;)

phase 1's drive better than phase 2's, but the interior and external looks are dated.

And the ph-quick rubbish makes me cringe too. please stop using it

Clart - yeah, fancied something a bit newer and to get in touch with my fem side ;) lol

Still though, have to be brutally honest, it's nothing on the Williams in terms of handling and driver enjoyment... even with coilovers it's just not as quick round the bends, but I'll live with that for the noise alone... pure p**n! hehe

tommyboy - I kinda realised that it meant they are quick(er?), however it more the why than the what if you get me ;)

LY 200
^^^Reliability issues at a guess mate......Probably why most of us chopped our mk1's in if were honest!!!

I still cant believe thejesus has done it though!!! Lol

Zmaster2k said:
this is all down to fubar! he started it! points finger!

hahahahaha, yeah i may have started it... but Ph-Quick has now become global. I get numerous PMs a week from people asking for stickers! it amuses me that a small joke has escalated into something quite big!

Oh, and for the record i know they're not quicker, and im actually looking for a 182 now. So the 'original' ph-quick will be up for sale :D

/Dan.

it wasn't practical as a daily car anymore and I was getting to the stage where one more breakdown or mechanical failure on something meant the end of my patience with it... so, driving to pick my mate up from the train station the gearbox pin mount snapped again (after being replaced about 4 months ago) and fell on the drive shaft at about 40mph slowing for an RA and killed that too (again, replaced at time of mount failure last time)... that was the end of the line, thought f**k it I'm getting another car. So was basically all set to just get a cheap run about that wont give me any s**t (Nissan Primera) so I could save up for something special and was offered a part ex on the TB'd 172... couldn't say no really as it's newer, quieter, easier to live with and hopefully reliable (well, moreso!).

I may get another Williams one day, but highly doubt it, been there done that and as quick and great as it was I couldn't see myself going back... but who knows, this engine will fit in a Mk1 shell it has been suggested, but doubt I'll go down that route, too much *****ing around. Next car will prolly be an E46 M3 or E39 M5... fancy more cylinders

Still... prefer my Williams to the 172 in every way apart from the noise and speed, but am slowly coming around to the looks... but f**k me the front headlights are sooo ghey looking! Extra creature comforts have been lost like aircon, which is a shitter, but spose it can go back in, but the downside it having to have double the RR time to have it mapped for when its in use lol

Jay - exactly mate, dont get me wrong, if it didn't stand me at sooo much money and I'd been a bit more sensible and not just replaced parts for brand new items when 2nd hand would have done the job in most instances, then I'd still have it now... problem is I spent that much fixing it that I never got chance to do the things I wanted to with it... like put bodies on and get it over to the Nurburgring as a fully setup road/race car. That 'was' the plan, but unfortunately it never panned out that way. Still, it was the best car I ever had and most fun I've had behind a steering wheel. Just hope Mehdi gets the reliability issues sorted out, but he's clued up to fook, so I'm sure he'll be okay!

Last edited: