ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PHD 2200, 2050 and FB 6.5 pro

Reviews reviews reviews. I dont like writing reviews, im a firm believer that if a products crap it doesnt deserve anything other than its crap dont buy it, if the products good however I beleive that I couldnt do it justice in a review and should just be heard. However ive been asked to do one to reflect the product so here goes

A few of you already know Im a huge PHD fan Im not related in anyway to the distribution or sale of such however, I just love the products. You would also be aware also of my want to go active and that just before christmas I bought a PHD 2200 amp to run my gt4 sub. Anyway thats the background on with the review.

Previous system
Pioneer 8600
RF501x
PHD FB 6.5 Pro getting 80wrms
GT4 12 getting 330

Thats how I started it was good but the bass was boomy and the front end was lacking as there wasnt enough power going to them. So I bought the 2200 to run the sub allowing me to run passive with minimum gain off the 501 bridged to 330wrms. This was a vast improvement over the previous setup the bass was alot less boomy and the front end came alive however it was getting a bit distorted at high volume and the high female vocals were quite piercing. So armed with my cheque book I went to guildford and came home with A fully active system and a new sub. The current system is now in my sig. The new 2200 and 2050 both running minimum gain 2200 to the midbasses and the 2050 to the tweets, I also picked up a new sub but thats a different review.

so the speakers are now getting less power active about 250 per side compared to 330 per side but they no longer have the passive crossover drawing power.

The crossover is now on the headunit low rca playing up to 50 12db sloped mids are 50 18db slopped to 3.15khz 6 db sloped and the tweets atre 18db sloped at 3.15k up.

Ive done a bit of TA on the headunit and Jonny-5 adjusted the eq on the day.

The mids have changed completley theres no more distortion with low midbass and midrange interfering with each other everything is so much clearer in that respect the speaker frequencys now seem to be working together rather than fighting each other for dominence, there now clear right up to full volume. The tweets arnt anywheare near as piercing now either and the whole front stage is now smoother and clearer, distortion free and alot wider, its also alot more difficult to pin point the speakers themselves instead your drawn towards to center of the dash directly above where the center console and clocks are.

I cant be 100 % sure whether its going active or the amps that have made the difference all I know is that without a doubt the entire sound has changed and after listening to other active installs and reading other reviews I think it would be wrong of me to say that the amps havnt played a part in the sound change Ive experianced.

These are without a doubt sq amps they may not be as well know as sinfoni or genisis etc however the build quality is solid and I have no doubt they will last an age. For my ears I would be hard pushed to find any reason to upgrade to anything else and be able to tell a noticable difference.

I would also like to say that im no sq champion Ive never even competed however I do it for me and for the enjoyment of listening which I believe that getting the right sound for your needs is more important than getting to judges standards. I love my PHD's and I would urge anyone who hasnt heard them to do so.