ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo printer advice - Needed for 'on the job' printing

Impreza Wagon
After some great advice from the CS guru's about lenses I'm now after a printer.

Myself and a friend will be shooting equestrian events and uploading there and then to a laptop. The riders can then view the photos and we can print for them to take home.

This isn't by any means a big operation and I expect to print 10-20 photos at the first couple of events. The printer needs to be good quality and able to print a couple of different sizes.

Any advice on printers, paper, cartridges would be great as I'd love to get cracking with this :)

RS6 C7
I bet you will do quite well out of it mate! Iv'e been to so many bloody equestrian events in the last 2 years!!! but never seen anyone doing it.

Good luck (sorry i can't help on the printer side haha!)

Impreza Wagon
It was £14 a print at a one day event in Milton Keynes yesterday! Luckily we've got a local yard that runs regular events and currently have no photographer, also a bonus that we know them.

I was thinking of getting one but seen to find I make enough business with people buying them after the event. I Made £80 yesterday and that was just from 2 people at one show!!

Sold at £6 per print which undercuts most people and they cost me 79p to print 8x6 at boots.

I have a big event with about 200 people coming up, it going to take ages editing and printing those lol

My biggest advise is dont just take photos of the people riding, just snap away when you see them handling, grooming etc.

Also, don't get a printer than can just do 20-30 shots. If people get wind you are the only photographer on site you may well have 100's of people wanting shots.

I did Firle hunter trials and sold upwards of 100 photos (online sales) and if you are printing online I recommend having this covered!

Last edited:
  Impreza Wagon
Thanks for the advice, do you host your images on a website? My only concern was the cost of a website and the fact people want the images to take home with them.

Oh also if I did go down the website route what's the quickest way to watermark multiple images?

My website is being built at the moment (currently forwarded to my facebook page) - sold loads through Facebook as the vast majority of Horsey folk are on there or know someone on there!!
The website is nearly there - it has a shop so people can choose pics and size and pay via paypal. I then print off the ordered prints and pop them in the post.

You could get yourself a printer like the Canon Selphy that does 6x4 prints and offer larger sizes on a website.

You will sell a lot at a show itself, but its also affording the outlay. Laptop, printer, a number of SD cards, waterproof cover just in case, power and the fact if you are doing it as a business you may need to pay to be there.

Both ways work, and if you can get to be the 'main' photographer your website will be announced many times!

My watermark is as follows in landscape and portrait:

9610715088_6c8456ef2b_c.png

9610710164_f83a826d79_c.png

I batch my pics using photoshop and bridge to automatically re size the photos, place the watermark, flatten, save and close. But obviously make a 2nd copy before you do this!

Impreza Wagon
Great info, that really helps.

As you can tell I'm new to this so all the tips are good. The Canon printer seems very reasonable if its capable and could be a good start. I've still got plenty to spend on laptop, new lenses etc but if I can recoup some money that's great.

I don't think I'll go to the bigger events however my girlfriend is moving onto British Eventing next season so we'll see how goes!