ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography courses

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Anyone done one? Looking to get a qualification out of it and obviously improve as I go along. Anyone reccomend one? Dont want to be pying too much btw, and something I can fit in around work would be a bonus!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
i would recommend a National Diploma mate, its much more practical based and enjoyable, im in the last year of my BA now and to be honest its all about theory and essays etc, if you just like taking photos but want to learn more about other equipement and software and improve your technique and skills then an ND is the best option

182, SQ7, Trafic
Looking to do this too so I can learn and gain a qualification out of it. Seen this Open U one and it is the only part time one I can find. All National Diplomas are Full time :(

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'm looking into this as well, I really want to do one, but don't want it to put me off it. Not sure I'd want to do it full time, either.

182, SQ7, Trafic
I can't do it Full time as I work :(

The OU one seems like it may be a little basic too, would like to know of someone that done it.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
I'm looking into this as well, I really want to do one, but don't want it to put me off it. Not sure I'd want to do it full time, either.

i do full time and im in only 2 days a week max lol but obviously you need time to go out and take pictures, organise shoots and do all the written work but it is still possible to do it and work just part time

Ian

Focus TDCi
What sort of shoots do you do James.. do you have a lot of flexibility with it, or is it mostly fixed? How you finding the course as well, is it interesting, or does it put you off photography? lol

1.2 Dynamique billabong
im in my final year so the briefs are a lot more flexible giving us freedom to explore what we want to do, for example my last module was based around digital techniques and we had to research a process and then apply it, most people did hdr as they are lazy tbh, but i used the oppertunity to push myself and made 4 minute long animation using stop motion which is basically take a picture of the subject, move them a bit, take a snap, move them etc over and over again, i shot about 900 pics.

other modules have a specific brief but still allow your own artistic, for example we had to do an editorial project, so i had to be in a particular style but still enable a great variety - i did mine on war and remembrance.

the main thing i hate about the course is the amount of 'weight' given to the workbooks when marking the projects, i can see they are necessary but it seems like s**t pics and a decent workbook will beat amazing pics and an ok workbook. in my opinion i think this is stupid as in the workplace the client only cares about the image you produce not a book full of b****cks to compensate for a bad image.
the BA hons course i am doing is heavily conceptual and theory based, if you just want to learn about photography and taking pictures, how to setup studio lighting etc then i would recommend the national diploma course, its cheaper, shorter and tbh much more fun

james

Slow red one
After doing photography for A level I've been looking for a course to further improve on and that ND sounds good, was tempted for BA but after just doing loads of book work bla bla bla for A level don't wanna do all that again lol even tho I sound v lazy its just very tedious! Now looking how to start my own wedding photography after meeting some professionals etc. Any good advice James?

Ian

Focus TDCi
The stop motion project sounds interesting, will probably have a look into that when I have a bit of spare time. Tbh, I'm a bit fed up with HDR, it's become so common and overused that any meaningful application tends to pass by unnoticed by me! It also seems to be a way to hide 'average' photos, shall we say! I guess that's similar to what you're saying about the workborks as well.

I'm in two minds about doing a course. Having almost completed a three year engineering course I can't help but feel that three years spent as an apprentice or generally in a more practical, work-based application would have taught me more. Think that's where you're saying a ND would be better suited.

Thanks very much for the insight anyway pal, it's much appreciated. It's definitely something I'll consider once I've finished my course, especially if I can fit a job in at the same time. What are you planning to use the qualification for when you're finished by the way?

1.2 Dynamique billabong
After doing photography for A level I've been looking for a course to further improve on and that ND sounds good, was tempted for BA but after just doing loads of book work bla bla bla for A level don't wanna do all that again lol even tho I sound v lazy its just very tedious! Now looking how to start my own wedding photography after meeting some professionals etc. Any good advice James?

starting your own company is a massive step mate, on the surface it seems quite simple, you take pics, you get money but with it especially weddings comes the potential for massive the mistakes. the main thing is being clued up on things like copyright issues, legal documentation and being able to write up suitable contracts for clients that wont land you in trouble. you will also need to consider insurance not only for your equipment but also for unforseen events such as a data error ruining all the pics you took at a clients wedding, otherwise you will be liable. There are other areas to consider too such as promotion and advertising, obviously if you can do stuff your self such as webdesign this will save money but is only worth doing if you can make it look professional. afterall this is often the first thing a client will see so first impressions are important. if weddings are definately the route you want to go down then i would investigate working with an exisiting wedding photographer to gain experience and get a behind the scenes look at how things are run. also dont be affraid to research stuff off your back, there are loads of books out there at starting up photography business

hope that help
let me know if you have anymore questions

The stop motion project sounds interesting, will probably have a look into that when I have a bit of spare time. Tbh, I'm a bit fed up with HDR, it's become so common and overused that any meaningful application tends to pass by unnoticed by me! It also seems to be a way to hide 'average' photos, shall we say! I guess that's similar to what you're saying about the workborks as well.

I'm in two minds about doing a course. Having almost completed a three year engineering course I can't help but feel that three years spent as an apprentice or generally in a more practical, work-based application would have taught me more. Think that's where you're saying a ND would be better suited.

Thanks very much for the insight anyway pal, it's much appreciated. It's definitely something I'll consider once I've finished my course, especially if I can fit a job in at the same time. What are you planning to use the qualification for when you're finished by the way?

if your in two minds about it have you considered in enroling on a short summer course to give you a taster, at worse you will come away having saved lots of potential expense and still gained a bit of knowledge to improve your images. if it goes well then it will help encourage you to do a course.

as for the HDR stuff yeah i agree it is totally over used. i tested the software for a project a year ago when it was kind of new to the scene (way before anyone else on my course even knew what it was, my tutor even made me give a seminar on it to the year below lol) but i wouldnt really use if for the projects i have just done. i like to push myself in terms of learning new skills and staying at the forefront of technology etc which is why i tried stop motion animation as it was something more difficult and something new.

Slow red one
Thanks for the input, now looking at doing the ND and that covers everything I want to learn. few of my mates done stop motion for our A2 work, is really interesting that and takes a long time to do with all the sorting of images etc. Hope that goes well for you!

Suzuki Ignis
BA Hons for me too, just finishing my second year. Its a lot of written as Jim has said and not to much love of the photos. Does my head in tbh because a lot of people on the course think they are going to go out in to the big wide world and have a job because they have a degree in photography. Nobody in industry is going to ask about that, they want to see photos and if they look good.
It might be worthing doing a workshop, day or weekend thing if you want to make money soon as. Will cost a few hundred quid but you will pick up a lot. Infact id go so far as to say ive learn more about photography by reading books, blogs, listen to lectures online etc, than I have at Uni.
The benifits you do get from a college or uni course is you get the use of studios, lighting, assignments set of you to do, face to face contact and advise on tap if you need it. Although Ive had to pay extra for use of studio stuff, c*nts, but it is a business at the end of the day.

Suzuki Ignis
Thanks for the input, now looking at doing the ND and that covers everything I want to learn. few of my mates done stop motion for our A2 work, is really interesting that and takes a long time to do with all the sorting of images etc. Hope that goes well for you!

Tbh I would advise that you look into a short business and marketing course or something if youve already done A-level photography. An ND will be full of kids straight from school,doing very basic stuff and I think its only free until your 18. Get a website up, business cards an leaflets printing up and just offer that they pay for printing costs for the first few. Practice, read blogs and books and look through as many portfolios as you can, email local wedding togs and ask to assist.

Slow red one
Tbh I would advise that you look into a short business and marketing course or something if youve already done A-level photography. An ND will be full of kids straight from school,doing very basic stuff and I think its only free until your 18. Get a website up, business cards an leaflets printing up and just offer that they pay for printing costs for the first few. Practice, read blogs and books and look through as many portfolios as you can, email local wedding togs and ask to assist.
Hmm sounds good but just feel I would like to learn more such as studio work and everything else the course has to offer "Computers in Art and Design; Experimental Techniques; Darkroom Practice; Location Techniques; Studio Techniques; Digital Imaging; Darkroom Applications; Location Photography; Personal and Professional Development; Studio Photography; Application, Exploration and Realisation in A&D and Design Methods in A&D." I'm so undecided, im meeting a professional next thursday so i'll see what he thinks.
Thanks for your help though.

Suzuki Ignis
Hmm sounds good but just feel I would like to learn more such as studio work and everything else the course has to offer "Computers in Art and Design; Experimental Techniques; Darkroom Practice; Location Techniques; Studio Techniques; Digital Imaging; Darkroom Applications; Location Photography; Personal and Professional Development; Studio Photography; Application, Exploration and Realisation in A&D and Design Methods in A&D." I'm so undecided, im meeting a professional next thursday so i'll see what he thinks.
Thanks for your help though.

Try to speak to some people already on the course, ask them what they really think of it. What work the tutors have done, have they worked in industry? etc.
Sometimes the course tutors big it up until your signed up and paid your money, then they give you an assignment and tell you to get on with it. Where is the course?

Can you tell ive had a bad experience? lol

1.2 Dynamique billabong
at my uni the standard of work produced on the ND course was far more advanced than that of the A level course. yes somethings are no doubt going to be recapped but in my opinion that is not necessarily bad as the ND course is all about being hands on and its this practise which helps you learn and improve. i beleive you can never have enough opportunities to expand your skills, and i am glad i did the ND course before the degree as it gave me a massive headstart. also on my course it wasnt all full of kids there was a big mix of ages with some mature students and also a few who had started other degrees and realised it wasnt for them.
ultimately with any course you will get out of it what you put in and i spent a fair amount of time outside of class hours improving my photoshop skills and this has significantly benefitted my since, allowing me to design graphics etc and expand my market into webdesign and graphic design.

having done the ND i felt fully confident in stuff like setting up studio lighting and photoshop before i started my degree and this was a great boast especially as some people starting the degree came from an art background which ment your skills are already further developed than theres, hopefully meaning that when you leave they will still be considerably better than others on the course but with three years of improvements.

the stuff on the ND doesnt have to be basic, i shot this studio image about 18months into a course which previously i didnt really have a clue about photography.

smallghost0kb.jpg

182 & Porsche 986
I don't recommend a alevel photography course, i did it as an evening course and it was nothing really do with photograph more ripping off other artists work, learnt nothing.

172 Cup
im doing my final year in photography... ive done it since i was in high school, 2 years while i was there a year at a local college then been at a college in Edinburgh for the last 3 years, i love it, the teachers are hard to find when u need help, but the course its self and all the ones ive done have been excellent. great oppertunities, competitions, exhibitions, trips to paris, meeting some really insparational photographers and being taught by them is awesome.

also helps to get work when your @ college, your teachers know people who can get you experience then you start to get to know all the right people.

i would defo recomend goin for something!

DSC_0083small.jpg

as i said...some great oppertunities.. my shoot for aston martin ^^^