ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picking a good Clio 200?

Hey guys

im Looking at a clio 200 for a weekend car that will perhaps do 2k miles a year.

budget around 5-6k, however I wanted to seek advice as I’m quite concerned about the gearbox issue that seems to plague the cars.

how can I best set my self up to not fall victim to this? As mentioned the car will be rarely used, so if it were to break I’m in no rush to fix it but I don’t want to spend 6k then get a bill for 1k within months, also how do they fair with mileage over lifespan? Am I safe getting a 60k+ mile model assuming I won’t put more than 10k on it in my ownership?

I’m addition I wanted to know how I can tell from pictures if a car is FF with cup chassis? I see many on auto trader that either don’t state what the car has, or say cup pack which I’m not sure if is the same thing?

appreciate any help and guidance here whilst I’m on the search!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Also - ensure when you buy one you fully engage the clutch - the clutch pedal once depressed at the bottom usually has a bit more travel
So just engage the gears properly...

Is it worth buying a car 800 under budget with higher miles and just do the gearbox? Or better to spend as much on the car as possible and hope for the best? I don’t see too many for sale with the gearbox done

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Try and get the nicest within budget. It's a lottery tbh. Maybe try the 197 forum. I've been looking on and off for a replacement and the 200 Is on the list. I struggled to find a nice car tbh

Ben Cook

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 (2010)
Red Brembo’s are cup chassis cars. But to be certain you’d need to look at the front springs as cup springs have a orange and blue mark on then.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
£6k ‘should’ get you a good one. But for that money you should really be expecting Recaros and Speedline alloys.

In my experience the big repair cost comes from the front suspension. Swivel hubs are roughly about £500 quid to have done and ball joints aren’t cheap either. Then the cost of top mounts as well, it all soon adds up to a bill in excess of £1k

As Mick at diamond motors said, these are great cars but maintenance costs are high.

As long as the previous owners have kept on top of the required maintenance and not let them build up to ‘one big bill’ you’ll be fine.

£6k ‘should’ get you a good one. But for that money you should really be expecting Recaros and Speedline alloys.

In my experience the big repair cost comes from the front suspension. Swivel hubs are roughly about £500 quid to have done and ball joints aren’t cheap either. Then the cost of top mounts as well, it all soon adds up to a bill in excess of £1k

As Mick at diamond motors said, these are great cars but maintenance costs are high.

As long as the previous owners have kept on top of the required maintenance and not let them build up to ‘one big bill’ you’ll be fine.

Cheers are there reputable dealers of the 200 I could go direct to? Everything on auto trader seems a bit of a miss

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Cheers mate-

Sold the Gordini today.

The best 200 ive had with the least amount of interest....

9EA00C28-6C77-4200-B80A-CCAADF84F417.jpeg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
On the 197 -200 forum / Pistonheads-

Sadly that was probably the last car of the year-!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I bought the best 197 I could and it bit me a few months later, in all honesty if I was buying another id buy the cheapest, straight one I could find in the colour I wanted and just keep the rest of the cash for the common faults as they come.

doing an exhaust manifold on my mums driveway in the rain in winter will never leave me!

Reactions: MLB
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Agreed I went to look at one. It was as close to new as you could get and it was 6 years old.

With the level of refurb & prep I cannot understand how he makes any money.

Only thing that stopped me was the wife had last minute jitters about selling her own car.