ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ping/latency

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Just moved to a new flat and already the sky broadband is getting on my tits.:dead:

I've come from an 8meg bulldog/pipex setup that was running hardwired at around 5.5 d/l with about 0.5 u/l with ping/latency around 15-20 ms. Nothing spectacular but worked fine for gaming.

Now having to run wifi with this poxy 2meg sky s**te that gives around 1meg d/l & around 0.35 u/l. That I can live with, but the ping is 100+ms! I've just tried to hardwire it which didn't improve it much, ~94ms but doesnt help the cables around 10m long.

Tried playing bf2 but it lags & spikes so bad it feels like i'm running the epileptic mod. :(

Has anyone else had bad experience of high ping with the sky/easynet setup? What kind of ping/latency are people getting with other SP's?

Cheers

p.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Tell me how to ping and i'll tell you what i get with my O2 lol !

Cheers. Is that the same as the 24meg be setup?

Can either do it by going to your dos prompt:

Start>run>cmd & on the prompt line type in ping cliosport.net

It'll run a ping test and give you a transmission/loss count and ping timings.

Or alternatively http://www.speedtest.net/ isn't far off the mark - slightly overexaggerates my values but gives a ball park fig.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Don't o2 do an 8meg package? Sounds similar to what I had. If you're using a typical adsl setup then judging from the attenuation loss i'd imagine you're around 2km from your exchange.

28 & 32ms are pretty decent pings-not bad for £7 a month either!

Clio 182FF
I get about a 30ms ping with Plusnet. Main problem with the likes of Sky/Talk talk/Orange etc... is that the masses use them and they can't provide a quality service. I believe you get what you pay for with connections.

VaVa
Well I'm undoubtedly the exception to that rule.

Had no trouble in 2.5 years on Sky's Mid Package (8Mb).

Ping is 26ms and get 6.8Mb without slowdown or interruption. Can't fault it for £5 pcm!!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
15ms on wireless on my 20Mb.

Which SP is that mike?

I get about a 30ms ping with Plusnet. Main problem with the likes of Sky/Talk talk/Orange etc... is that the masses use them and they can't provide a quality service. I believe you get what you pay for with connections.

Very true-the contention ratio on this sky setup must be pretty high. That'd make sense as i've only moved to about 200m away in the same complex from where i had a reasonably decent connection with bulldog (who stoppped taking on new residential customers a while back).

Well I'm undoubtedly the exception to that rule.

Had no trouble in 2.5 years on Sky's Mid Package (8Mb).

Ping is 26ms and get 6.8Mb without slowdown or interruption. Can't fault it for £5 pcm!!

There may be some hope then-don't reckon mine could be much f**kin worse tbh!:D Reckon i'll give their tech support a buzz next week see if they can tweak it.

Clio 182FF
Maybe it's a case of just getting them to change your IP address, are you static or dynamic? TBH £5 is cheap for broadband!

Getting 45 average on Skys 16 meg package although in reality its 6md/l and 750ku/l

What determines 'Ping'

Clio 182FF
Well Ping is how fast your computer will send and recieve one 'packet' or chunk of data. So the faster it can send out a message and recieve a reply, the better. Doesn't matter so much when just browsing the internet, but for games a lower ping can give you the edge - particually in FPS's like Battlefield or Halo.

Ping speed can be affected by a slow internet connection, a busy connection with too many sharing the same bandwidth, too longer run of cable or poor connections, a sub standard modem or poor router but the biggest culprit is wireless. Wireless conections are no where near as good as a hard wired one and can up your ping by a lot but they're are improving.

DCi
ping cliosport.net
min: 38.4
max: 40.0
average: 39.22ms

sky broadband, unlimited, wireless. Router registers about 6000 kbps down, not sure on my upload.

just booted up call of duty and my pings were around 50 with no lag spikes on the lagometer or anything

sky is ok imo.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Which SP is that mike?

Virgin Media. They're pretty good for me TBH, I'm failing to see where all the hate stems from. I can download DVD ISOs from MSDN at 20Mbit, and it's only when I go past the point where I know I shouldn't be downloading so much that I get capped - even then it doesn't seem to bone my latency, just bandwidth. Some bandwidth throttling can be bad for latency though, and gaming - QoS basically just knocks out random packets...

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Virgin Media. They're pretty good for me TBH, I'm failing to see where all the hate stems from. I can download DVD ISOs from MSDN at 20Mbit, and it's only when I go past the point where I know I shouldn't be downloading so much that I get capped - even then it doesn't seem to bone my latency, just bandwidth. Some bandwidth throttling can be bad for latency though, and gaming - QoS basically just knocks out random packets...

+1

Virgin Media FTW, Ive got thier largest internet package, and I cant fault them tbh.