ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Playing with slow shutter speeds

Oil Burner
Im not normally too adventurous with my shutter speeds in motorsport as my keeper rate is important to get the shots i need, however today at DTM practice i was just shooting for fun, and with the added issue of parts of the track closed off or fenced off i got bored quickly. Heres a small selection of some of my favs from the day.

Let me know what you think.

361401270_kpgTP-XL.jpg

361387322_maniB-XL.jpg

361339144_WXdNm-XL.jpg

361334460_i7BVP-XL.jpg

361383069_6NwXP-XL.jpg

361313067_GoRBn-XL.jpg

Lovely, your best work in my opinion. Were these all from public positions, and which bits were fenced off that aren't normally?

Considering how small Brands is, I always struggle to figure out where you've taken your photos (apart from #2 and #3, my favourite angle), I love the snaking track in the background of the first shot.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
2 & 6 for me, shutter speeds like that give great sense of speed. Well captured!

Oil Burner
Thanks for your comments,

The closed bits of track (baring in mind it was the indy circuit) was the inside of druids, and the fence has been moved in some places for example the fence under the bridge (on the outside of the track) which prevents you shooting the shot as the cars come up paddock. Also they were putting up fencing on surties to keep the spectators back.

The pictures were taken at the following:

1,5,6, to the right of the catch fencing at clearways

2,3, you know.

4, clearways media hatch

i will defiantly be doing more slow shutter work, even though my keep rate is well well down, i like some of the results. The first shot is prob my fav.

Inside of Druids shut?! That's pretty mad, sure I saw loads of photos from there last year (they get some nice flames going as they go under the bridge), I also like the little spot you mention on the outside next to the bridge.

Pretty pleased I have to work tomorrow now, as I was going to make the long journey across but it seems a bit pointless from a photography point of view.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Love em, i love motorsport pics with slow shutter speeds and low apature, takes alot of time/skill to get them, but they are impreessive.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Cracking Pics..... I would never be able to Capture Pics like that :(

Oil Burner
They don't look real!

Good stuff.

So to do this do you have to follow the car?

the best method i have found is to follow a point on the car with your focus point. This will be the crisp part of the car. Take for example the very slow shutter merc. #2, i used the bottom left corner AI point and panned on the grill/number plate. Resulting in that part of the car being crisp.

Takes some practice and a few other methods. Picture one required a run up as its changing direction so fast.

Get out there and give it a go.

Thankyou all for kind comments, much appreciated:)