ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Policeman told me De-cats are illegal!

OK, let me fill you in with the correct version...

It isnt illegal to not have a cat fitted, what it is illegal is for you to be driving round on the road with a car that has failed a part of the MOT test.

All cars after Jan 1 1993 HAD to have a cat fitted, the law goes back a little further though, back to 1989 to where any car with a cat fitted cannot remove that cat as it could fail emissions tests and were so tested.

Remember that driving around in a car that is not roadworthy can invalidate your insurance, it can get you points on your licence and it can get you into big trouble, and apart from that, most cars now have the cat tuned into the ecu and removing that cat can mean bad fuelling, either running too lean or too rich to compensate for it missing (the lean one isnt good btw).

Tony

thinking of solutions for emmissions test. 1, keep the cat on, 2* decat it and stick a jet in the exhaust attached to a small bottle of compressed air which will dilute the gases and let you pass.

*this i have just made up in my head, probably wouldnt work, it isnt a guide of what to do