ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polish

Whats regarded as the best cleaning products at the mo?

I have a black car at the moment but when its polished it still doesnt look fantastic, ie you can see patterns of the polish on the paint work!!

cheers

try doing a search, theres always threads about this, it all depends on what you preapred to spend and how much time you want to spend doing it

106 GTi

You need to look carefully at your wash and polishing methods to ensure your not making swirl marks in your paint. What are you using to wash and polish with at the moment?

Apply polishes and waxes in up and down, top to bottem movements on vertical panels and front to back on the roof and bonnet.

Make sure you use a good wash pad or mitt and two buckets, one with you wash solution and one to rinse the mitt before you put it in the clean soapy water bucket.

There are a couple of threads about recommending products.

[Edited by r-jay-cup on 1/19/2005 4:38:34 PM]

[Edited by r-jay-cup on 1/19/2005 4:38:59 PM]

r-jay, just to let you know that i got that stuff from serious performance (poorboys, moose wax , p21s, etc ), and tried it on the car this am, really impressed with all the products and serious performances service too

thx

106 GTi

Nice- What did you go for in the end?

Glad you like them. Alex is a top guy to deal with. Cant wait for March 01 - really getting withdrawl symptoms need to clean!:p

We will sort out a MF group buy in the spring from Pakshak.

[Edited by r-jay-cup on 1/19/2005 4:44:20 PM]

yeh i want some of them pakshak towels

in the end i got

Clearkote Vanilla Moose hand glaze

Poorboys EX-P sealant

P21s concours wax

+ nxt carwash (really happy with this wash, its about the best i have used)

and various towels and bits

like i said really happy with the results, it goes on easy and comes off easy too, just tested it on the bonnet in the garage but looks good to me

Cant go wrong with;

- meguiars if youre on a budget

- zymol/swissol if youre not

Ditch your sponge, buy a lambswool wash mit from Meguiars

And use 2 buckets, one with shampoo, another to rinse the wash mit

zymol and swissol are ok but you get get same results for a quarter of the price of zymol, using mothers products or poorboys and clearkote and p21 wax

lambswool mit is a must, dont use a sponge

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 19 January 2005
yeh i want some of them pakshak towels<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">in the end i got <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Clearkote Vanilla Moose hand glazePoorboys EX-P sealant P21s concours wax+ nxt carwash (really happy with this wash, its about the best i have used)and various towels and bitslike i said really happy with the results, it goes on easy and comes off easy too, just tested it on the bonnet in the garage but looks good to me

Another recommendation for the NXT wash :confused:

I must be doing something wrong.

106 GTi

I love VM and EX, two of my fave ever products good choice. Nxt wash is really good too, I cant decide between that or Sonax as to which i like best.

I would def recommend P21s/Clearkote/Megs#16 over Zymol or Swissol. Spent 3 years wasting money before i saw the light.

[Edited by r-jay-cup on 1/19/2005 5:01:11 PM]

you get Sonax from vauxhall dont you, do they all carry it, and when you wash the car with sonax does the water just fall of (if you know what i mean)

Thats the one.

Titanium 182.

Nothing wrong with it, just seems so expensive when it doesnt really do anything that triplewax shampoo didnt.

oh right, well when i clean my car down with crappy car wash the water i pour on it seems to just sit on the car, when i used nxt the water just ran off the car leaving me with very little drying to do

106 GTi

Sonax is available from all Vauxhall dealers, if they dont carry it all can order it, and now Shell garages. The Sonax seems to foam up better and leave a better gloss. Both seem to rinse off as well.

right, its the rinsing off that important to me, some just leave a sort of sheet on the car which takes ages to get off, i might try that sonax stuff too, i bet its quite cheap too

oh right, well when i clean my car down with crappy car wash the water i pour on it seems to just sit on the car, when i used nxt the water just ran off the car leaving me with very little drying to do

Never had this prob with triplewax, as its got wax in it.

Probably very little, but it does help with the rinse water.

Do you use the trick of taking the nozzle off the hose and just letting it pour over the car? This helps a lot

Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 19 January 2005

Do you use the trick of taking the nozzle off the hose and just letting it pour over the car? This helps a lot
yeh i always do it, but with some washes the water just sits on the roof in like a sheet, but good washes just come nearly completely off, leaving very little drying

Quote: Originally posted by chris182 on 19 January 2005Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 19 January 2005 oh right, well when i clean my car down with crappy car wash the water i pour on it seems to just sit on the car, when i used nxt the water just ran off the car leaving me with very little drying to do
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]yeh i always do it, but with some washes the water just sits on the roof in like a sheet, but good washes just come nearly completely off, leaving very little drying

Maybe i dont get this because my drive is on a slope.

Well, i have only used NXT wax on it. But then again ive only used NXT wash as well, as i bought both for my nice new, shiny car, and havnt run out of either yet, so you might be onto something.

Ive still got some triplewax under the sink, think i might use it next time, to compare.

BTW sorry Jordie for hijacking your thread

[Edited by chris182 on 1/19/2005 5:39:29 PM]

Jordie what polish are you currently using?

I have ablack car and can bring it up brilliantly but the key is in preparation. Once you have washed the car you then need to actually clean the paint!!!

I would try a clay bar and alight abrasive polish such as body scrub (all products from below link) I would then simply top with NXT wax which does actualoly contain a small amount of glaze as well as wax. NOne of these products have cause dusting or marks for me.

Doing the above should help with any minor swirl marks as well!

http://www.meguiars.co.ukwww.meguiars.co.uk

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Jordie on 19 January 2005

Whats regarded as the best cleaning products at the mo?

I have a black car at the moment but when its polished it still doesnt look fantastic, ie you can see patterns of the polish on the paint work!!

cheers

ive got a black car and use Meguiars NXT range, superb

Black Clio 182

i use turtle wax and shampoo, makes my car shine up well gud. i use a hose and a dirty sponge to get the sh*t off, then use soapy water and a different sponge, use the hose to rinse it all. dry it using a cloth, appy wax with one cloth and polish it in. then i go around the car with another cloth to max sure there isnt and wax smeers and stuff. usually takes a few hours lol :p

Quote: Originally posted by Pauldredge on 20 January 2005

i use turtle wax and shampoo, makes my car shine up well gud. i use a hose and a dirty sponge to get the sh*t off, then use soapy water and a different sponge, use the hose to rinse it all. dry it using a cloth, appy wax with one cloth and polish it in. then i go around the car with another cloth to max sure there isnt and wax smeers and stuff. usually takes a few hours lol :p
this is quite scary, im glad you dont do my car

Turtle wax contains trillicaone technology (read silicone) It is a cheap way to get a good shine on your car but body shops hate it cause once o its hard to get off and will repel paint etc.

For the sponge issue, what do you think will happen to the delicate clearcote on your car if you press a flat sponge against it and the dirt?

Light sandpaper is the answer! Do you have any swirl marks in your paint? If so this will be why!

Also use deep pile cloths such as terry towels or m/f towels to avoid scratches

Hope this helps!

why is it scary? dus a good job on my car :eek:

Dont want to sound like im trying to tell you something you dont already know, but, listen to r-jay-cup, brazo and 182blue, in no particular order, they know what theyre talking about.

I was in the same boat as you 6 months ago, and prob about 95% of ppl. thinking that a sponge and some triplewax shampoo were about the best things going, believe me theyre not.

There is a thread runnung at the mo about oil. Why would you spend £££££ on a car and put cheap oil in it, well same goes for cleaning.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 20 January 2005
Im going to put a faq together lol!

Just keep throwing up the Megs link
;)

why is it scary? dus a good job on my car :eek:
no offence, and alot of people use this method, but it would scare me, im quite anal about my car, and i wouldnt even put my company car thru that LOL, seriously tho im into paint that has no imperfections and i mean NO, this means alot of hard work (more than most people can be bothered to do, and sometimes i dont blame them).

in the end it gives me pleasure to have not just a clean car, but a car that is fully detailed/treated etc.

this is a clean panel

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1087131212__DSCF0197.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1084393199__nn1.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1100082559__DSCF0318.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1094663372__DSCF0224.jpg

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 20 January 2005

Ok, sorry for being thick, but is a sponge really that bad?
yeh it is, it squashes the grit and dirt between the sponge and the paint, and all it can do is damage your paint, a wool mit will protect the paint as the grit etc will move into the middle of the mit.