ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polishing intervals?

Clio 182 cup
Does anyone know how long there should be in between polishing using SRP? I was thinking of doing this monthly followed by the EGP and P21s would this be ok? Does polishing it this often make the top layer of the paint a lot thinner over time?

Thanks

106 GTi
SRP has so little cut you could use it every week if you wanted. But yes it would over time reduce the thickness of you clearcoat.

I try and polish my car once of twice a year maximum with any form of abbrassive polishes. Befores shows etc if need be try to use a very mild paint cleaner/polish if I need to address any defects.

In your routine the EGP should last 3-4 months, so I would be looking at in a year:

Wash
Clay
SRP
EGP x 2 or 3
P21s

Follow that up with weekly safe wash using the two bucket washing to reduce the the chance of needing to polish but keeping your paint as defect free as you can, using a quick detail spray after/during drying to improve gloss etc. Then just top up the P21s up once a month.

Then 3 or 4 months later you could probably skip the clay and redo the process

Wash
SRP
EGP x 2 or 3
P21s

and then maintain weekly/monthly as above.

Then after another 3 or 4 repeat the same but with the clay. This way you only polish 4 times a year, get the twice yearly claying's in and your car will look great and be well protected.

Clio 182 cup
Cheers Rich, I had a strong feeling the best reply would be coming from you!!

Just a quick question, little confused with some of the details in the post. Should I go for the SRP, EGP, P21s every 4 months, applying P21s wax monthly in between?

Also I've never used clay before, is it safe and easy to do and what benefits will it give to the paintwork?

Rich your a legend mate! Cheers.

Alan

106 GTi
Yeah once every 3-4 months use the SRP and EGP, topped with the P21s. Then once a month all you will need to do it find time to get a coat of P21s.

The theory is P21s will only last about 30 days, so needs renewing on that kind of timescale -in keeping it topped up the EGP belows its life will be maximised aswell, and the car will keep the added looks the Carnuba brings over the standalone application of EGP.

Clay is safe to do as long as your careful - ie the clay is warm, and you ensure it has a clean face/side to use. Benifits are it will make your paint smooth, removing the things washing alone wont that can eat into the finish, also in turn means polishes, sealants and waxes will be a lot easier to apply and remove.

Clio 182 cup
Thanks again for your help mate, won't need to do my car again with the full routine for a few months then as its just been done. I'll make sure I top up the P21s every month and see how it goes from there.

Is there any guides or tips on claying?

106 GTi
Nice one just maintain the P21s then and use a nice quick detail spray inbetween waxing then.

Some claying info here

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148366

Make sure the caly is warm and soft, on a cold day store it in a warm cup of water. I have even warmed it first in the microwave!!!!!!

I also use car soap and water rather than a quick detail spray to clay with as it feels more lubricated and safer for me.

Two or 3 caps of car shampoo in a small canyon spray bottle, re wet the panel with a wash mitt and noraml strength car wash mixture from a bucket, spray the solution you have mixed up onto the panel as well and clay away.

Mito Sportiva 135
CLaying is pretty simple really, once you get going you will find it is not hard at all, but like Rich says just make sure you use a clean face of the clay, otherwise you will be removing contaminants but adding scratches!

When I clay, I first wash the car using a good shampoo with wax in preferably. I normally get most the water off using a hydra-blade, but leaving a little is no problem.

I then fill a mug or something similar with hot (not boiling!) water, and a 500ml spray bottle with a mixture of shampoo and QDs - whatever is too hand really, just making sure that the ratio of water to products is at least 50:50. I then thoroughly wet a panel with the mixture, and lightly glide the clay over it. Then, just move around the car, wetting as you go, and cleaning/ warming the clay every few minutes in the warm water.

Main thing is to keep feeling the clay. If you can feel any grit, then use another piece (a small clay bar can be cut into 3 pieces roughly - you can use older to do wheels or glass)

Once you have finished claying, some people wipe off using QD and a cloth, I prefer to shampoo the car again and then dry off as you would do normally.

Mito Sportiva 135
Nice one just maintain the P21s then and use a nice quick detail spray inbetween waxing then.

Some claying info here

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148366

Make sure the caly is warm and soft, on a cold day store it in a warm cup of water. I have even warmed it first in the microwave!!!!!!

I also use car soap and water rather than a quick detail spray to clay with as it feels more lubricated and safer for me.

Two or 3 caps of car shampoo in a small canyon spray bottle, re wet the panel with a wash mitt and noraml strength car wash mixture from a bucket, spray the solution you have mixed up onto the panel as well and clay away.

Damn you Rich! Got there first... give me my place in the sun! :rasp: ;)

106 GTi
LOL

What does the mixture of 50:50 soap and water feel like in claying with - super slippy I bet ?

I only ever wack 2 - 4 capfulls top in the AG 600ml canyon spray I use.

Mito Sportiva 135
LOL

What does the mixture of 50:50 soap and water feel like in claying with - super slippy I bet ?

I only ever wack 2 - 4 capfulls top in the AG 600ml canyon spray I use.

It feels extremely slippy, something the ladies might enjoy! Seriously it is a good mix, and seems to really enhance the gloss compared to just using the shampoo, and cleans better than just using the QD. I make the concentration pretty thick, and try different QDs to see the effects. On my Dad's Porsche which I did at the weekend I used a cap of CG Extreme Wash n Wax, some Saab shampoo (pretty sure it is Sonax in a different bottle), Meg's Quick Detailer (the one in the blue bottle, can't be sure this is the real name but really like it, always non-streak and high gloss) then CG Synthetic detailer and CG Caranuba detailer. Almost looked like it didn't need polish after (although I did of course...)

106 GTi
I have some days of work this week and I am considering claying and giving the 182 its first proper machine polish, so will mix up a stronger soap and water solution as I have a load of old shampoos I could use.

Only negative thing I have hears is others have said too strong a soap mix causes the clay to fall apart?

Mito Sportiva 135
I have some days of work this week and I am considering claying and giving the 182 its first proper machine polish, so will mix up a stronger soap and water solution as I have a load of old shampoos I could use.

Only negative thing I have hears is others have said too strong a soap mix causes the clay to fall apart?

It didn't fall apart, but it became a bit more maleable maybe than normal. I put it down to the hot water. I think as long as you keep rinsing off every few minutes to maintain sufficient surface friction jopbs a good 'un!

When you say machine polish, is that different to standard PCing then? I am holding off a few more weeks with all this rain still, plus my back box on my exhaust is currently dangling off :dapprove:

106 GTi
Cool.

Machine polish, in this case no nothing more than a PC for me, unless I can sweet talk Brazo into rotarying it for me. As yet I have not used anything more than a polishing pad and a medium polish on the car for the last two years apart from in spot areas. I am reluctant to strip of the Swissvax and Zymol that are on there at the moment though, aswell as the Jeffs winter coats.

May concentrate on the other areas I want to mint up this week and PC it closer to the first shows.

Mito Sportiva 135
Cool.

Machine polish, in this case no nothing more than a PC for me, unless I can sweet talk Brazo into rotarying it for me. As yet I have not used anything more than a polishing pad and a medium polish on the car for the last two years apart from in spot areas. I am reluctant to strip of the Swissvax and Zymol that are on there at the moment though, aswell as the Jeffs winter coats.

May concentrate on the other areas I want to mint up this week and PC it closer to the first shows.

That's what I have been doing, mainly the interior, door seals, trim, plastics, engine bay, leather. I don't have a garage and a fair bit of motorway driving so simply no point taking off the Collinite yet.

Can't wait for some warmer weather! Plus not much point yet until I can actually drive my car again :rolleyes:

They have a new 1 Series Coupe in work today, and it looks the absolute nuts. For my next car (assuming I don't come back to work here and get a company car) I would love a 130i Coupe or 3 Door in metallic white with the Schnitzer wheels. There may be a 135i coming out too, which would easilly be the best hot hatch around in terms of overall capability and build. Will destroy the Golf R32, Meg R26 and Audi S3. Bit of a tangent here...

Clio 182 cup
Cheers guys for all the tips. What is the recommended quick detailing spray for adding some glossy shine in between polishing etc? I know AG have one but is it any good?

Mito Sportiva 135
Cheers guys for all the tips. What is the recommended quick detailing spray for adding some glossy shine in between polishing etc? I know AG have one but is it any good?

Depends on which product you use, some have very mild cleansing agents in, but as a rule of thumb you use them whilst drying your car to remove streaks, after washing for added gloss, or over a wax to top up the protection and shine.

The Megs detailer is a good all rounder and streak free. It is my favourite for the Summer especially, smells great too!

106 GTi
For cheapness and effectiveness get the Megauiars Last Touch, great value at 15 odd quid for a US Gallon.

Otherwise I would get either Clearkote Quickshine, Sonus Carnuba Spritz or Chenical Guys Syntetic Quick Detailer.

Monaco 172
so in time? it could be a bad idea to use SRP and EGP once a week? and would be better to just wash it and put a coat of was on it instead? is that right?

interesting...

106 GTi
so in time? it could be a bad idea to use SRP and EGP once a week? and would be better to just wash it and put a coat of was on it instead? is that right?

interesting...

SRP and EGP once a week is just a lot of work for starters.

You would be better of just adding layers of EGP each week if thats what you have time to do. No point stripping of the previous layer every week with SRP and starting again. You will get better results in looks (gloss and depth) and durability by getting three or so layers of EGP on.

When EGP can give around 3 months protection this leads onto the point there is no real need to apply it so often, you will just be using more product and time than you need to in the long run.

Adding a coat of wax every few weeks will improve looks futher and be alot easier than applying coats of EGP all the time aswell.

106 GTi
I have some producst I have had for a few years, all depends what size they come in!

As for what I spend on products I would never be so silly to add it up.