ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

polycarbonate windows views????

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I am not sure if I should get some polycarbonate windows for the front.
I have spoken to a few people with them and get mixed views some say they are way too hot and don't let enough air in and others say they are fine, and there is also the issue of margard or not.
My car is not a daily it will only be used on the road to get to and from the track and the odd Sunday blast.

give me your views on them

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Go for it, I think they add value if you are going the whole hog with the car, in terms of 'weight-saving track performance'. However, If that's the only weight saving measure you're applying then think about spending your money on something else.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's like sitting in a greenhouse mate in all honesty. You need a roof vent or some form of window scoop to get enough cool air in the car on a hot day. Mine are p4p ones as well so fully thermoformed.

Range Rover Sport
Was looking into this a fair few months ago.

Obviously a little cooler with the window sliders however a few suggested that with the sliders there isn't much weigh saving...

I'm not a huge fan of the roof scoop I know they are practical though!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Was looking into this a fair few months ago.

Obviously a little cooler with the window sliders however a few suggested that with the sliders there isn't much weigh saving...

I'm not a huge fan of the roof scoop I know they are practical though!
I can't comment on the weight of the sliders, but unless you've got some sort of scoop to draw the air in they don't work as well as you'd ideally like them to. I weighed my glass vs polycarbs and iirc it was 2 polycarb fronts/qtrs were equal to the weight of one piece of glass.

Range Rover Sport
I can't comment on the weight of the sliders, but unless you've got some sort of scoop to draw the air in they don't work as well as you'd ideally like them to. I weighed my glass vs polycarbs and iirc it was 2 polycarb fronts/qtrs were equal to the weight of one piece of glass.

Wow. Didn't relise there was 'that' much difference.

Do people change the rear/boot piece also?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wow. Didn't relise there was 'that' much difference.

Do people change the rear/boot piece also?
Yeah it's quite a significant saving tbh. The rear glass (heated screen) weighs about 7kgs vs 2.5kgs of the polycarb! The rear screen is also the most expensive to replace. There was one for sale a few weeks ago and I don't think it sold. He wanted £120 I think.

Range Rover Sport
Yeah it's quite a significant saving tbh. The rear glass (heated screen) weighs about 7kgs vs 2.5kgs of the polycarb! The rear screen is also the most expensive to replace. There was one for sale a few weeks ago and I don't think it sold. He wanted £120 I think.

When going to these lengths, do people put them on the OEM doors or for another £400 go the entire weight saving and go FRP doors like CMComposites sell? (circ £400). So around £1000 in total but surely around 20kg weight saving?!?!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
When going to these lengths, do people put them on the OEM doors or for another £400 go the entire weight saving and go FRP doors like CMComposites sell? (circ £400). So around £1000 in total but surely around 20kg weight saving?!?!
I've personally not got fg doors as it gets used on the road. I've got x door bars as well, so in theory I should be safe, but not entirely sure I'd want that element of risk. Having spoke to a guy doing crash tests at Mira, I may go down this route as even at 20mph a lamppost in a side on impact made it's way into the car ( jag xf) over a quarter of the way!! Weight saving wise your looking at more like 40+kgs.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Ive got the polycarbs and sliders on the cup, on a hot day its pretty hot inside and the sliders dont let a lot of air in. though my car is mostly for the track so i put up with it.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
I made two small air scoops(drivers/passenger) from plumbing bends which i purchased from B'n'Q. They were not amazing but did help a little on a very very hot trackday lastyear especially as it was a last minute thought the evening before.

scoop_zps6ed34e8c.gif

Range Rover Sport
I've personally not got fg doors as it gets used on the road. I've got x door bars as well, so in theory I should be safe, but not entirely sure I'd want that element of risk. Having spoke to a guy doing crash tests at Mira, I may go down this route as even at 20mph a lamppost in a side on impact made it's way into the car ( jag xf) over a quarter of the way!! Weight saving wise your looking at more like 40+kgs.

Certainly food for thought!

You never replied to my PM many moons ago buddy, you in Lichfield yet?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Certainly food for thought!

You never replied to my PM many moons ago buddy, you in Lichfield yet?
As Colin Chapman said, "simplify, then add lightness"! Best way to improve performance.

Oh? I've definitely replied to all your pm's mate, so not sure what's happened there. In answer to your question, nope not yet!! Issues along the way have fucked the job up atm. Frustrating.