ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Popcornhour - Should I?

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I currently use my xbox 360 for all of my media streaming, but I am very aware that it's only a matter of time until the three red lights come along and ruin it all for me. I'm on my 5th (fifth) Xbox, and as I have had the last two flashed, when they broke I have had to buy a new one rather than just sending them to microsoft.

Does anyone know how easy a PCH is to use, as a media player in the lounge, but also as an NAS device, coupled up to say, a 1tb hdd? Obviously I'd need the wireless adapter as well, so I think I'm looking at an outlay of around £300.

Are PCH's known to be reliable? Any input would be helpful.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i would imagine they're pretty reliable although i would sta that if you are hoping to stream hd content over the wireless you may want to think again. Although if you're only watching divxs i'm sure it'll be fine.

My bro has one and its great. Menu looks a little basic but streams and plays movies without problems.

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I suppose if not a PCH, I could buy a NAS, then attach the WDTV to it,

I'm too lazy to put things on a usb stick before watching them. Used to do it. can't be ar*ed.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yeah i use a PS3 + QNAP NAS and works pretty well.

Did have a WDTV and thought it was brilliant for the price.

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I've just been looking at speccing up a media centre PC. Building it isn't a problem, but as I've not had a media PC before, I'm not sure what speed of processor I'll need and ram etc. to cope with what I need it to do. Any ideas?

I currently have a dual core pc (2.5 x 2), with 4gb ram, and an 8500gt. I suppose I coould cannabilise (sp?) this, and build myself a more powerful desktop at the same time.

Tempting...

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
Any idea cost wise?

Just priced a popcorn hour setup at £349. With a 1.5tb HDD.

Just looking at what spec of media PC I could build for that, bearing in mind I'd still need an NAS.

seems to be 120 ish for top spec one with wireless n and external psu

then all you need is ram and a hard disk and a case

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
That's awesome. I could have one of those, with a 1tb hdd, and one of those m350 cases on that site you linked, and leave that running all the time as an NAS, with 4gb ram and Vista ultimate. That'd save me some cash.

Edit; I could even whack windows 7 on there...

Do you need a HD with popcorn? My bro just downloads what he wants on a pc then streams it via the popcorn box.

I like them cos they're so small and no hassle compared to a media pc.

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
Looking at that site, the wireless enabled one is £159. Have you ordered one? I think they've had a lot of demand, as it says units will be allocated according to date of order.

You don't have to have a hard drive with it, but I don't like having to have my desktop on all the time that I just want to watch an episode of the Wire or whatever.

Last edited:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
don't you have to put a cpu on there or have i misunderstood, i thuoght it was just a mobo

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Not the cheapest route....Have you thought about a mac mini running plex?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I priced up one of these mini media PCs and it was just under £300 with the HDD size I'd need, the cheapest Mac Mini is £499 with only 120GB storage

Arctic Blue 182
I have the PC A110 media tank. Gotta say I love it. Browser is a bit clunky. Wirless connection i have heard is not the best way to go with this bit of kit. For Hd streaming it is amazing! I bought it as WMV movie type has become less popular in HD and MKV file type is far more comon. Must say im happy with my outlay! No you do not need a HDD with it. If you do then yest it is better and you can even load a torrent app on it for downloading content. attaching Hdd`s via usb is easy and as long as you pc is set up for network share you will be able to see you movies and folders. Only problem is that it does not play iso or img files atm. it used to play some but now i think it doesn`t play any with latest update. think i got mine from ripspeed or similar. Uk vendor for PCH.

Hope this helps fella!

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
I priced up one of these mini media PCs and it was just under £300 with the HDD size I'd need, the cheapest Mac Mini is £499 with only 120GB storage

That's a good price, the bundle I'm looking at is £370. Thats with a 500gb hdd, and 4gb ram though.

Links?

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
Would it not prove cheaper to get a dell mini 10, with 8gb ssd hard drive and external 500gb hdd?

Think it has an HDMI port too.

Don't know how well it would handle 1080p though...

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
With the Zotac board, and 4gb ram, would I need any form of ram cooler type thingy if I wanted to run the computer all the time?