ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porsche and F1

Broken Diesel Megane :(
with ferrari in F1, have porsche ever moved into this area of motorsport to try and compete with them on the track?

C

clio172cup20

They would win every race - Porsche dont see it as a challenge.

Renaultsport 220T
Their engines helped win two constructors championships in 84 and 85. They were in the rear of the Mclarens, but they were badged TAG.

They won the 1962 gp as a constructor.

:D

Broken Diesel Megane :(
ah right cool. just wondered how they never went in for it, and as an independant team.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
What you have to remember is Ferrari is owned by Fiat and therefore the Italian government pretty much.
F1 is a moneypit and Ferrari doesn't really get a set budget. What they need they get.

I can't see the VAG group ploughing that much money into it just for Porsche to try and prove a point to Ferrari but i like the idea of seeing them both go head to head again.

As Steve says, they prob feel they had their fun back when they powered Mclaren as TAG's.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ahh well in that case you are correct....no way they'd wanna waste that kinda cash.

Im sure i heard recently that Porsche were very much still involved with VW and that they infact were the bigger company of the two.
I could be completely wrong tho.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
VAG is the Volkswagen Audi Group

TAG is the acronym name of an investments company called Techniques d'Avant Garde that funded the Porsche F1 engines.
They also bought Heuer watchmakers to become Tag Heuer.

Monaco 172
thanks, i just worked out the vag ons there cause seen it so much on forums. but the tag one is intereting

Own, or "own"?

That picture of the SUV is interesting. It's probably a complete fake but who knows. Nothing would sursprise me. As someone said - money talks, and if they can sell such a car (America) then surely it will get built eventually in some form. I'm not keen on the 80" rims though :( Mind you, those 600mm front discs look up to the job.

Haven't Ferrari recently been banging on about their future cars being lightweight low emissions performance vehicles? A 2 ton SUV is hardly in keeping with that ethos.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sorry, Porsche AG have 30.9% (controlling)stake In Volkswagen Group AG