ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porting/Matching

Nissan 370Z
What exactly is the difference?

If im wanting the upper and lower inlets doing, is it worth getting them ported or matched?

Also, has anyone ever ported the cylinder head on a 182?

Thanks

E39 M5 & Corsa track
Porting a 182 cylinder head properly takes a long time, there is a fair amount of work involved in it, the inlets are much simplier to do.

Nissan 370Z
On say a standard car, im aware of what matched inlets will give roughly, what kind of power increase and price are we looking at for porting heads?

Nissan 370Z
wow! ha...not worth it then.
Fred, in your experience are most 182's stamped with RS on the inlet manifolds?

I dont see any reason why you cant match your own inlets. its not rocket science.
Im sure all heads are slightly different so even a CNC'd inlet isnt guaranteed to be bang on. And ive heard of some 'pro' ones being pretty shocking so go for it.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I dont see any reason why you cant match your own inlets. its not rocket science.
Im sure all heads are slightly different so even a CNC'd inlet isnt guaranteed to be bang on. And ive heard of some 'pro' ones being pretty shocking so go for it.

Dude, this guy is slow at the best of times. Letting him lose with a dremel would be a baaaaaad idea

In terms of if it is worth it I do not know - investigations are on going. If your going to have a head done it's worth sending them to an experienced individual such as craig @ APD, not just having a crack at it with a dremel/airline tool ;)

Pick up some theory on proper headwork. Just enlarging the port doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on how it should be done.

In terms of if it is worth it I do not know - investigations are on going. If your going to have a head done it's worth sending them to an experienced individual such as craig @ APD, not just having a crack at it with a dremel/airline tool ;)

Pick up some theory on proper headwork. Just enlarging the port doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on how it should be done.

Have wondered tho what gains you'd get (if any)from just smoothing out the CNC marks on a 1*2 head, I dont mean super smooth as you need rough-ish ports for fuel/air mixture.