ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

porting

im about to have my energy lump from my RT gasflowed. I want to have it ported but the bloke whos doing it said he wants an exact measurement of how much to take off. can anyone tell me this measurement? help greatly apreciated. Mark

erm if he cant work it out for him self dont let him near it !!!!

if he doesnt have a flow bench it will just be a botched job and be sh*t

Ziel Nurburgring

PM AndyGDI or BenR. Or ring GDI, they know what they are doing, dont leave it in the hands of someone who says ill have a go.

ill just leave him gasflow it then, lol. he seems a bit busy tho, i think maybe he just cant be arsed to port it aswell. he said there wasnt much point unless he was gonna put bigger valves in aswell for some reason. hes basically gonna gasflow and polish the head at the same time as doing the headgasket. If he wasnt doing the HG id send it up to chris H or GDI or somewhere, but that would cost way to much at the moment, lol

Mazda MX5 1.8

sorry to sound a bit stupid but is this "porting" or "gas flowing" where they make the inlet manifold all nice, smooth and shiney?

and how much does it cost to do it properly?

lol, im not gonna have the money to do that anytime soon, for a start i live in cornwall. as it is im borowing the money off my mum for the HG to be done. can anyone tell me if theres a particular figure tho? an actually amount to take off the ports?

dave, yup, thats why i want it done.

think i am gonna get him to do it tho, I rang him a minute ago and he said he can do it, but it would be a lot easyier if he had the figures. seems a nice chap and knows what hes talking about and hes done work many times for me and always does a good job.

just out of interest, can anyone tell me about gasflowing? i can find stuff about porting but nothing about gasflowing.

Quote: Originally posted by clio__chris on 29 July 2005
sorry to sound a bit stupid but is this "porting" or "gas flowing" where they make the inlet manifold all nice, smooth and shiney?and how much does it cost to do it properly?

£100-£200, it varyies from place to place

172 cup'd extreme

best thing to do is buy an old energy head and have it chopped down the middle so he can see exactly how much metal he is taking away

well, like i say, i havent got enough money at the moment. im not gonna be doing that, and the heads already off at the moment for the head gasket, im not leaving the car there for a couple of weeks and sourse a new head for him either.

the whole reason hes doing the headwork for me at the moment is because the heads coming off anyway for the HG.

can anyone just give me some figures, or is that not possible?

[Edited by markknightpz on 7/29/2005 2:46:14 PM]

Quote: Originally posted by markknightpz on 29 July 2005

well, like i say, i havent got enough money at the moment. im not gonna be doing that, and the heads already off at the moment for the head gasket, im not leaving the car there for a couple of weeks and sourse a new head for him either.

the whole reason hes doing the headwork for me at the moment is because the heads coming off anyway for the HG.

can anyone just give me some figures, or is that not possible?

[Edited by markknightpz on 7/29/2005 2:46:14 PM]

That enough figures for you.

Now wheres you bloody manners:mad:

[Edited by Smokey on 29 July 2005 at 2:54pm]

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Figures of what LOL. its not as easy as take 0.5mm off here 0.8mm there. I wouldnt let him touch it if hes asking you for figures! will probably just open the ports up and youll end up with a head which flows worse than standard.

Quote: Originally posted by markknightpz on 29 July 2005

ok, well, thanks for the advice, obviously not from smokey tho, you obviously dont know the first thing about mannors mate.

Same as you dont about spelling huh..............

You was told to phone or PM BenR or mailto:Andy@GDi">Andy@GDi............. Now did you do either of those??

lol marky boy like I said on RSC tell him to piss off, hell f**k it up.

as for measurements thats no use, the head casting are all different, what might be 1mm on one head could be 4mm on another!

Got meddy clios head off the now, its a ph3 head and ren re-designed them. Its gash compared to an early head.

gas flowing and porting seem to mean different things to different people. retards and car magazines use these terms and don;t have a clue.

A proted head is one re-worked properly to ensure maximum efficiency, stickign a flapwheel up a port for 15 mins is not gas flowing or polishing things.

yea, ok chris, ill get him to leave it then but clean the casting up etc. and polish it.

loony, hes no cheaper than anywhere else, its the posting and having to have it taken off and on again thats the problem, would probably cost about 400-500 quid all over again after the HG.

smokey, i asumed I was told to PM ben to get him to carry out the work, not the advice, anyway sooner or later i knew either him or chris would see this post. should have listened to chris the first time round, then again i wanted to find out more about it an have a chat on the subject.

GDI does not do headwork, AWT supplies GDI with all their flowed components and heads.

As for your mate, rip your head out of his hands as fast as you can, ive got images of a rock ape with a cold chisel.

If he has to ask the owner about specs then walk away backwards, very fast. He obviously has no idea what hes on about....larger valves?....why, its not needed at this level.

If you want a proper job, its going to cost alot more than £100-200 pounds.

As for terminology, porting, gasflowing, headwork........all mean the same thing, it doesnt describe a technique or something done....its simply refers to the process of increasing a heads flow coefficienct.

RUN MY MAN! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

lol, thought chris would have done a good job for £150ish.

Im a bit weary of this bloke tho because of whats been said here and by chris on rsc. but basically I went down their at 5 and spoke to him properly and asked him exactly what hes going to do, I told him not to bother with the porting so hes not going to do that, but he says hes going to match the ports to the manifold and smooth them all off and polish them etc. doubt therell be a problem with that. only reason he was asking me about how much roughly he should take off was to (aparently) save time, and as he knows i know a little about cars and am on rsc etc, he thought id be able to find out.

btw hes not my mate, lol. he is an actuall mechanic, u can usually tell when theyre talking sh*t, u just need a small amount of knoledge and good sence of character imo (famous last words, pmsl).

what dyou think he means by gas-flowing then? he said for it to be ported it would have to be gasflowed anyway. wish i knew exactly how it was done etc.

anyway, lets hope it turns out ok, lol.

cheers, Mark

porting/gasflowing.....all means the same thing, you cant have both done! lol

Just like slicing and cutting bread is the same thing!

yeah, well he said, by gasflowing it he would be porting it very very slightly anyhow. so im guessing he just means hes going to neaten all the cast seems up etc.

tidying up the casting doesn nothing, heads arent cast like they used to be....its not a problem anymore.

like i said, ther terminology means the same thing, DO NOT get caught up in thinking it actually means something.

I think ill make up my own term........portology investigation sounds good.....and its 4 times better than gasflowing and porting.

lol, matching the ports to the manifolds should make a little difference dont you think? he actually said by looking at my head that the casting was a bit cack, lol.

the manifold should be matched to the head, with a 10-15 thou smaller lip on the manifold.

doesnt sound like he knows much.

mechanics are just that, mechanics.....always engs in tears when people let them do things apart from fitting parts.