ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

possible head gasket???

Clio 200
over the last week or so I thought I had a water problem ie an air lock, but I went for a long trip today and my car started blowing out white smoke.
now my water is really low and even on tick-over white smoke is coming out of the exhaust.....is that the head-gasket gone..???
Also £££££££ for my 182..??
thanks

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah probably if your waters gone, best get RAC to come and check it, with their water smelling device. probably about £1000 as you gotta take all the cambelt out and stuff

Clio 182
white smoke is a tell tale sign, but no detergent in the oil? seems odd.

you can get headgasket seal and from a friends experience i would definately recommend it

Clio 200
I bought the car 2 1/2 months ago from a garage....do all traders/garage's have to give u 3 months warrenty....???

I bought the car 2 1/2 months ago from a garage....do all traders/garage's have to give u 3 months warrenty....???

yes - it's more likely to be termed 'mechanical breakdown insurance' though - you've almost certainly got a claim with HG failure. ring them tomorrow!

that's really sh*tty luck if it is the HG - hope you can sort it out without it costing too much

sniffer test (as someone has already suggested) would probably be a good starting point - it will test for the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant. could also try a compression test.

have you got oil in the coolant expansion tank or coolant on the oil dipstick?

saxo VTS, Leon Cupra
if the car has a warranty (or whatever the stealer decides to call it) don't diagnose it yourself just give them a bell, tell them the symptoms and that you want it fixed! that said it does sound very much like a head gasket...

Clio 200
Finally heard back from the garage I bought my car from and they are going to fix my car.... :)
Finally some luck