ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering problem!

clio williams, Ph1 172

I think ive got a problem with my power steering. Just wondered if anyone knows what it could be.

A couple of weeks ago i topped up the fluid and it went really quiet. Its been fine up until last night. It suddenly got noisy again. So I checked the level and there was virtually nothing in the reservoir. I topped it up but it was still noisy. Checked it again this afternoon and the level was low again. So I have topped it up again when i got in. Looks like it been leaking on the drive as iy has rained and you can see something there.

Is my power steering f**ked or is it just the cold weather maybe that has made the fluid thicker and affected it in some way. Because it was quiet until last night and it has just started getting colder.

Please help someone. This car had a new pump on it and a new steering rack less than a year ago!

Trophy

Paul,

They are prone to leaking from the pressure side of the system, can you see the fluid anywhere else in the engine bay or is it just dripping on the floor?

Mat.

clio williams, Ph1 172

I can just see it all around the area under the bonnet. Anywhere it can be caught. Not niticed it leeking before. When i looked at it earlier it looked like there were bubbles in it.

Trophy

Ok, its not from the pressure side then!

Check your tyre pressures are right, have you fitted wider tyres? And try bleeding the system to see if there is any trapped air.

Just noticed, youve got 17s. That will put extra prssure onto the power steering.

Mat.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Its weird cos its quiet sometimes but not others. Im runnin 215.40.17 tyres too which would put more pressure on the power steering then wouldnt it.

How do you bleed the system and how much fluid would you say it uses?

Trophy

To bleed the system you turn the steering from side to side with the engine off until no more bubbles can be seen rising from the fluid,

Then do the same but with the engine running.

If the fluid level rises when you turn the engine off then it means that there is still air in the system.

Wont actually use much fluid.

Try about 31 - 33 in your tyres.

Mat.

Trophy

Dont have to but if you dont want to put a flat spot on your tyres it might help, could just put a piece of lino under each wheel!?!

Mat.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Its ok. Ill jack it up. Just wondered like as its not really gonna put pressure on the system if its jacked up is it? Is that all you do to bleed it then? you dont actually empty the system? Just do that?

clio williams, Ph1 172

The problem has got bigger, Look in exterior,power and mechanical. Im thinking a pipe may have burst as fluid has gone everywhere.

If its just a pipe is this a hard job to do?? How much are they roughly too?