ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PPF

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I am thinking of having PPF applied to my new car when it arrives as I do a lot of motorway miles.
Is it really worth over £1200 for the front of the car and wings to be covered?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Two things.

Is the car new? Are you having it painted before PPF.

What type of PPF is it? Good quality? Cheap? Reputable company?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect.

For information based, my front end repaints start around £950+vat for stone chips. Bonnet, bumper and 2 wings.

Now depending on what type of car it is. An astra that you will trade in to Arnold Clark in 2 years no. A 911 yes.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
So it is a very similar price to PPF

It is a Megane trophy so has wide arch’s that may pick up some stone chips.
My Focus RS had some rash on the bottom of the bumper from 40k miles of motorway work.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Worth it, also consider how special the colour is to paint. Liquid yellow to some is a pain, mars red and the new special orange cannot really be painted by sikkens yet (long story).

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I’m considering having some ppf on my clio trophy. From premium shield uk

what u think Gally as i know your knowledge on car protection is very good!

not sure on what are the best areas to go for?

was going to have the paint corrected first and then a ceramic protection after the ppf? Thoughts?

Worth it, also consider how special the colour is to paint. Liquid yellow to some is a pain, mars red and the new special orange cannot really be painted by sikkens yet (long story).

I work at a place that fits Xpel PPF in Cheshire and I’m an Xpel trained installer if anyone ever has any questions or wants a price.
As a general guide you want to protect high impact areas which are bumper, bonnet, wings as a minimum then you can go further and do a pillars, roof strip, side sills and rear arch protection.
Ceramic coating wise, you want something approved by the brand of PPF. Xpel have their own called fusion which is good for PPF and paint and is about £500 retail on top of film.

Reactions: seb

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
@seb Premium shield isn't bad, it's just NOT xpel. I've seen xpel up close daily, it's an epic product and on certain colours it's invisible.

It really depends on the price difference. If you have an xpel installer close by get a quote first. Xpel set the prices almost so different installers shouldn't really have too much of a difference. Can't remember if Russ at Midlands uses paintshield. He wouldn't use cheap crap so worth checking who uses it and compare it to their reputation.

Another tip and the most important, how experienced is the installer. I only trust 4 guys in Scotland to do PPF in their respective areas and they each have well over 15 years of detailing experience alone. A lot of "new" guys out there.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Whats the difference between the two?? I’m pretty clueless!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Xpel offer the highest quality in my experience. You would need to research the paintshield stuff, I don't have much experience.

Length of experience of the installer is more important.

Xpel is the Ferrari of films, it's got unrivalled clarity, next to no texture, very resilient to damage and scratches backed by a 10 year warranty. They're an american brand and are the only manufacturer to make the film in the way they do and each machine to do it is 10 million.

Premiumshield is cheaper theres no doubt about it, I've got nothing bad to say about it but just note that Xpel are particular about who they will allow to be certified, I've seen a lot of one man band have a go heroes use premiumshield who order a kit from them and get it posted. We cut all our xpel kits in house on a £10,000 plotter, if we mess a panel up we cut another kit until it's right.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Xpel is the Ferrari of films, it's got unrivalled clarity, next to no texture, very resilient to damage and scratches backed by a 10 year warranty. They're an american brand and are the only manufacturer to make the film in the way they do and each machine to do it is 10 million.

Premiumshield is cheaper theres no doubt about it, I've got nothing bad to say about it but just note that Xpel are particular about who they will allow to be certified, I've seen a lot of one man band have a go heroes use premiumshield who order a kit from them and get it posted. We cut all our xpel kits in house on a £10,000 plotter, if we mess a panel up we cut another kit until it's right.

Yeah I was curious in the differences as a company i use for other work (and have done for a long time) have started doing PPF with premium shield.

They have historically done a lot of work in motorsport for some of the F1 & F3 teams (all the graphics etc for the cars and motor homes) and so fly out to wrap the race cars.

They've been doing the PPF for a bit but it is a new thing for them. They say it is very different to normal wraps so was going to go and have a chat about it with them out of curiosity.

I guess like anythnig it is always hard finding osmeone you trust to do such work.

Appreciate the comments form the forum users on PPF. always helpful! Given me a lot to read up on.