ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Number Plate - Selling a Car

Black/Gold 182!
Not sure if this is the right section.

I am sellin gmy car and I understand that I need to put my Private number plate on retention so that I can then transfer it to my new car when I buy it.

Does anyone know how long this normally takes to do and complete?

Thankyou

Guesty

Megane 225
Your plate goes on retention instantly, and you get a new tax disc, etc etc, your V5 takes around 1-2 weeks to come back with the old reg on.

Then you'll get your private plate retention cetificate about a few days later,

Then when your ready to put it back on take the new car's v5 and the retention form and it'll go on instantly, then just a week or so for the new v5!

I think it's about £105 though for the retention of the plate.

Black/Gold 182!
So as soon as ive filled out the forms and handed it over can i put my old plates back on the car??

WR1 impreza
Everytime I put mine on retention I do it at my local DVLA (Shrewsbury) as it is quicker than by post although everytime the V5 has taken at least 4 weeks to come through not 1-2 weeks.

I was waiting to swap cars with a private seller and it took AGES. Wish I never had a private plate. More trouble than they are worth lol

Megane 225
I guess it depends on area to area, but the 4 times i've done it, it always is between 1 and two weeks, but it's always the way if your in a hurry to get it back, it'll take forever! :mad:

Black/Gold 182!
Right, sent my paperwork off last Monday, suppose I havnt really given them enough time yet. I said I would collect it from my local DVLA office and he said it would speed it up a bit as its going in their internal mail. Do you think its too early to ring them tommorrow. Im impatient as I have a buyer waiting for my car. ;-(

Black/Gold 182!
Called and they said it could take 6 weeks for the log book to come back. Honestly didnt think it would take that long! Im a bit damned now as I have sold my car aswell.