ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with Climate Control/Cabin heating, help or thoughts please

I've had a search on this topic but not seeing the same scenario/finding a definite answer

I think it’s possible the Climate control has never worked in my Mk2 172 Clio since I got it, and I’ve never had a owners manual to figure out how it works, if just guessed

I assume you just set the temperature, hit auto and this would adjust the cockpit temperature accordingly. However for me even if the engine was warm and the cockpit was freezing and I had set for air to come out on full blast manually, I would hit auto and it would reduce to very low flow speed and basically would probably take several hours to reach the selected temperature in no hurry!

As a result I've never really used it and just controlled temperature and flow manually, it was my only way to make the car hot or cold any time this century!

Anyway a few weeks back a mystical temperature reading appeared under the clock that had never been there before! I now understand this is the outside temperature reading and is from a sensor in the driver’s side wing mirror. The values range from anything from 20-60 degrees typically, and sometimes the numbers disappear, thought most of the time the numbers are there.

Anyway since these numbers started to appear I now struggle to get any heat out of the system even when it is still on manual mode. Normally when I would start to get warm air through progressively once the car had been running for a while, I now just get cold air for a full 6-8 minutes driving and then get hot air from cold very quickly (I notice just before this happens the water temperature gauge surges up from 50% to about 75% and then drops to 50% - the really hot air then follows.

Any thoughts on the problem, I’m guessing these may be related to internal and external temperature sensors, but I don’t see how the temperature is affected even when climate control is off.

I need to get it sorted by winter or I’ll have to wait 8+ minutes of the car stationary with the engine running just to get some heat in the cabin and on the windows ready for me to brave the journey!

Help appreciated.

Mk5 golf gti
Sounds like your outside air temp sensor is gone, which is the nipple thing on the underside of the passenger wing mirror

and possibly the thermostat is knackered which is why the temp guage is irregular

maybe the exterior one is best to try first, is it easy to fit yourself. Any idea on parts costs?

I'm just looking to have it fix on the cheap, maybe i would be best buying a clio wing mirror from a scrappy/ebay that has one fitted.

Mk5 golf gti
the exterior one just gives you the correct temp under the clock, it doesnt explain why you water temp guage is rising and dropping

you can get just the sensor from a scrappy or on the wanted section on here, my sensor is also knackered lol

a thermostat is a small job, probs easier than doing that sesnor too

the onyl sensor it could be is the one by the interior light, thats the sensor for the climate control IIRC

so you think it is the interior sensor(thermostat) is what is faulty - would that explain why my water temperature gauge suddenly rises and then comes back to normal and then the hot air comes through.

how is it that the this all when the climate control is off, does it still use the sensors

The thermostat is in the engine, doesn't have anything to do with the climate, separate issue. For the issue with climate replace the outside temp first, that may solve it.

Maybe right there. From what I've read the out side temp will affect the auto temp. It's possible the thermostat affects the heat of the blowers, as it doesn't let the engine warm up fully. I'd sort both issues anyway for the cost tbh.

any idea on cost for parts etc.

i am looking at selling this clio on for another soon but want to sell it fixed. Is it easy to do yourself?

Thanks,

so is this likely to fix the issue I have with getting hot air out when climate controls is off (without ahving to wait for about 8 minutes of driving)

how would I go about getting to it and fitting it?