ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with my master key

VW Potato

troops,

since I bought my Clio over two years ago, I have always used the same key for the car. As you know, the Plip bit of the key has a distinct action when you press it down - it only clicks down so far as it locks/unlocks the doors. Now, because there are electronics in the key, Im always careful not to drop it or throw it down. On saturday afternoon, Id finished using the car, and I placed the keys carefully in my kitchen drawer as I always do. On Sunday, I walked up to the car to unlock it, and the Plip bit just sunk right down, with no click. Needless to say the car did not unlock, and the red light on the key didnt flash. Sure, after two years, the battery could be shot, but why does the Plips action feel all funny? Its almost like the Plip is broken, rather than the battery just being flat. Could the battery power also determine how far the Plip but goes down? Any ideas?

g

You might want to ask a mod to edit your post to remove the mention of where you put your keys at night.

Best take the key to pieces and replace the battery they can go after 2 yrs and are often changed at the service. Also when your changing tha battery you can see why its not normal.

It might be youve bent something inside it but it doesnt get lower regards battery power.

If the light doesnt flash and it doesnt open the car it would indicate its out of power.

It is guaranteed to be the Microswitch that has become detached from the Printed circuit..

Split the key in half as if you were replacing the battery.. remove the PCB but be carefull as the switch is small.. It will only need resoldered back onto the board.... and no need for a new key..

However replacing the battery every 2 years is advisable anyway..

VW Potato

172 Exclusive - apologies for the late reply.

You are absolutely correct! I took the key apart, lifted the PCB and there rattling about was the little switch with the tiny click button on it. Ive worked out where it goes, but Im not sure if i have the skill to solder something that small...but I know a man that does ;-)

thanks again - I appreciate your help. :)

g