ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problems starting

D

dick

hey guys

the other day, was off on a 160mile journey, and was going to be cutting it fine, and typically it wouldn't start.

So i got mums car and jump started it. (no lights or anything where on).

stopped for petrol, wouldn't start again, so I managed to bump start it, (alone) through the petrol pumps.

Then got to the destination, didnt want to turn it off after that.

since then, its been having problems, the volts have been dropping to 9v ish. and hence not starting, then we tried jump starting, battery got up to 12.5v, still wouldnt start.

it starts when the engine has only been off a few minutes, but when you leave it a few hours, it doesnt want to play.

yesterday i drove home, we eventually got it bump started (much harder to get it going this time, gradually getting harder to get going) all be it with the central warning light on, the computer and the coils.
but turned it off, and started afterwards, and no light.

I lose all radio pre-sets too and odometer reading.

battery? alternator? starter motor? coils?

also a few days ago before this all started, i started the engine fine, but cut out say 10 secs afterwards, wierd.

1.2 16v, new battery 2years ago. not had new coils since ive had it, over 4 years now, but that wouldnt explain the flat battery would it?

Mental 172 Cup
seems like there is a drain on the battery! check to see if anything has been left on and that the alternator is charging the battery and go from there!

D

dick

2 of the cells are low on water, could this stop it holding charge?

giving the battery a good ol' charge and topped up the water, will see what happens later tonight

D

dick

ok, topped up,

voltage not reaching 12v, and battery making funny noises. fucked?