ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Black Pearl

Clio 172 Cup
Thought I’d start a little project thread for my (well the soon to be wife’s really) Phase 1. We recently faced the dilemma of whether to get shot of the Clio and replace it with a Panda 100hp or spend a few quid on the neglected daily driver and get it up to scratch. Well the decision was made to keep the Clio so now the work can begin.

It’s just about due a ‘cambelt and pensioners’ (on time and not mileage anyway) so that’s the priority and with the cost of that job it probably won’t get much else sorted before next month anyway. It’s a very different prospect to my commuter Megane 1.9DCi F9Q engine which I did myself in my garage with a bottle of tip-ex and £150!

Anyway, I digress somewhat, the overall plan is to get it driving nice, making some subtle improvements where I can without ruining the ride or looks, and also looking as clean and original as possible. I’m not a fan of this fashion trend for fitting Phase 1’s with Phase 2 rear ends and door strips and the vulgar (IMHO) silver bullets. Personally I think they look pretty much perfect as they are, so this one will be staying exactly as Renault intended on the bodywork and interior, right down to the orange side repeaters and understated 2.0 16v door badges.

This is the second Phase 1 Clio RS I’ve owned and I have to say it’s never driven quite as nicely as my first one did. Admittedly, I purchased that silver one when it was just two years old back in 2002 and with only 30k on the clock (Y237 KTF if anyone knows of its fate?) having been completely entranced by everything I’d seen and read about them in magazines such as EVO, so Project Black Pearl has had a lot to measure up to at 104k miles, but I’m going to do my best to get it straight.

In short the list of jobs so far is as below and I’ll be keeping you as up to date with progress as I can with the limited spare time I have:

Engine and Gearbox –
Replace cambelt, tensioner and water pump. A trip to KTEC needed for this.
Replace ‘Dogbone’ bottom engine mount bush with polyurethane. Maybe sort the other mounts while I’m at it, budget allowing.
Carry out oil service (Oil and filter, air filter, coolant, etc)
DIY inlet port matching

Suspension –
Replace both bottom ball joints.... Done today
Replace both track rod ends..... Done today
Replace rear shock absorbers (as a minimum as one of the rears is leaking oil)
Check and adjust wheel alignment

Bodywork –
Repaint front bumper and bonnet
Refit windscreen seal trim
Polish and clay bar cutting session
Re-paint wheels original silver. The spare will stay untouched as its mint and still has its original Michelin Pilot Sport fitted!
New plain standard number plates together with some tasteful Renault Sport surrounds

Interior –
Replace centre heater blower vents (Broken clips)
New front mats (Original Renault if anyone has a nice set kicking about?)
Lower front seats by removing spacers
Re-trim original steering wheel

It’s a modest list so far compared to some of the other cars on here but it should be enough to save this great car from the breakers for the time being!

I do firmly believe that Clio 172’s, particularly Phase 1’s, are a true future classic in the making; the very last of a hot hatch breed long since superseded by cars that, due to their large mass, have to rely on a low pressure turbo instead of natural aspiration for their power…..Its just not the same. These cars will become highly sort after in years to come, you only have to look at the market for good 205 GTi’s which you could pick up a few years ago for £100’s, and are now fetching in excess of £2,000 for a nice original unmolested car.

Anyway enough blabbing, I know all you want to see is a few pictures of it before work starts so here you go. I’m sure some of you will recognise it from the club?

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

I made a bit of a start today of getting it somewhere near clean both on top and underneath the arches, bonnet, etc. Also got the track rod ends and bottom ball joints done and fitted my Ebay bargain original air box and bumper feed pipes fitted in place of the ‘Pipercrass’ that was fitted by a previous owner…….