ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 System Update 3.21

Citroen DS3 DSport
PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday. It will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, we’re now removing this feature.
For most of you, this won’t have any impact on how you use your PS3. If you are one of the few who use the “Other OS” feature, or if you belong to an organisation that does, then you can choose not to upgrade your system. However, doing so will mean that the following features will not be available:

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.
If you currently use the “Other OS” feature and you wish to update to system software 3.21, make sure you back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, slowly turning the PS3 back into just the more expensive games console

It's a disabling firmware, so no McB

This is what happens when hackers finally figure out how to use all of the PS3's RAM

Citroen DS3 DSport
Maybe it's a very bad April Fools joke!!

A original selling point of the PS3 was the ability to install a other OS so it does seem a bit cheeky of them to remove this. If you use the PS3 online you don't have the option of refusing the update.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
From what i've heard, this is only spurring the hackers on to crack the system wide open... if anything this will harm the Sony PS3.

Geohot is releasing a custom firmware for those wishing to update to 3.21 which still allows 'OtherOS' As on his blog:

Here is a video demoing my "custom firmware". I would have added something showing off the new features of 3.21, but oh wait, there aren't any.

This can be installed without having to open up your PS3, just by restoring a custom generated PUP file, but only from 3.15 or previous. It's possible this CFW will also work on the slim to actually *enable* OtherOS; I'll know when my infectus gets here.

No release date yet, use the proxy hack to play online with 3.15

Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers." There was a huge(20x) traffic spike to this blog after the announcement of 3.21. If I had ads on this site I guess I'd be thanking you.

And the video:

[youtube]1-9wLWQ4-uA[/youtube]

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Like I said a few posts ago.. just spurs people on to hack the PS3 more... I Was just about to post this, didn't take long eh ! Sony shot themselves in the foot when they decided to start removing features.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
From what i've heard, this is only spurring the hackers on to crack the system wide open... if anything this will harm the Sony PS3.

Like I said a few posts ago.. just spurs people on to hack the PS3 more... I Was just about to post this, didn't take long eh ! Sony shot themselves in the foot when they decided to start removing features.

In follow up to my original post, and less than 6 months after Sony started this s**t..

*POINTS TO SONY*

HA HA
simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Bring on the homebrew, mkv support, large file support, custom os, ripped to HDD games etc.

On the downside it will mean online cheating etc.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd quite like Sony to pull their finger out and give us mkv support

MS are never gonna do it, so Sony is my only hope

Can't be arsed converting all my mkv files

Clio 182
I'd quite like Sony to pull their finger out and give us mkv support

MS are never gonna do it, so Sony is my only hope

Can't be arsed converting all my mkv files

Why are you converting them? Download PS3 Media server and stream them direct or transcode them on the fly depending on the codecs used. You will be waiting a very long time for Sony to support them...