ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS4 Memory Upgrade

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
My PS4 has just about filled its memory to the max not allowing me to add or download games,i have the 500 memory console.Has anyone ever upgraded there memory or know if you can use an external device?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Loads of guides on how to swap out to a bigger hard drive. Sure you can also use external on there too but I'd just upgrade to a larger internal one (or delete games).

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You can use a USB external drive now, have a look at the online guide on the ps4. That will tie up a usb port though, it's piss easy to swap the hard drive, I've got a 2tb one in mine. Google to find what's best available at the moment.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks will look into these options.

Using up a usb port is ok as only use one to charge the controllers.

Wouldnt mind fitting an intetnal one tho

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Also just seen theres a PS4 Data bank,i prob would like to go for 2tb
Assuming there are no OS/file structure limitations about sticking a new drive into a PS4, as I don't have one - I would definitely recommend going down the SSD route.

I would rather have a 480GB SSD fitted than a 2TB SATA fitted to any gaming device. Tried the swap back about two years ago for the extra capacity and the 2TB lasted all of two days before it was removed in favour of a much smaller SSD.

The performance difference is that significant - plus in a console it will be much quieter.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Assuming there are no OS/file structure limitations about sticking a new drive into a PS4, as I don't have one - I would definitely recommend going down the SSD route.

I would rather have a 480GB SSD fitted than a 2TB SATA fitted to any gaming device. Tried the swap back about two years ago for the extra capacity and the 2TB lasted all of two days before it was removed in favour of a much smaller SSD.

The performance difference is that significant - plus in a console it will be much quieter.
You need the capacity on the ps4 though. Red Dead 2 is 105GB before it downloads any updates, doesn't leave you wiht much room fro any other games!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
1TB SSD drives are a touch over £100 these days, alternatively you can get faster 2TB HDD drives, makes for a slight improvement while retaining the mega storage space you want. (or at least you used to, they don't seem as common these days as they once were)

AG 200 cup
I got a 2tb external hard drive for mine the other month. They updated playstation the other month do you can use any hard drive and not a ps4 specific one. Think I payed 50pound for mine.