ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulling to left when braking

Ph2 172
Ok, when I brake hard the car wants to pull to the left. I can counter balance this by turning the wheel slightly to the right which makes me brake in a straight line. I first thought - tracking!

Well, I've just got back from my local tracking place. They use the laser technique 4wd jig thing. Results are that the tracking is perfect. The guy said the steering wheel was slightly off centre but the tracking was fine - toe in/out, camber/castor - all fine. Brakes are fine - no binding and all of the bushes are fine. The guy had 2 other blokes look at it that were MOT testers and mechanics for over 20 years each, they both were baffled as well. So basically, everything looks fine.

Any ideas? I'm worried that it'll be rather dangerous in the wet and at speed.

Nick.

Sounds like could be wishbone bushes... normally when theyre shot it'l pull 1 way under braking and the opposite way when accelerating hard. Wishbone bushes can look ok but if u get a pry bar and lever against the subframe u could find play in them.

Ph2 172
Sounds like could be wishbone bushes... normally when theyre shot it'l pull 1 way under braking and the opposite way when accelerating hard. Wishbone bushes can look ok but if u get a pry bar and lever against the subframe u could find play in them.

Sounds about right! I tried braking hard and the accelerating hard, it pulled left under braking and then right when accelerating hard! You are probably right! I'll have my mechanic have a look!

Is it worth buying the poly versions or just stick to the standards if those are the only ones I'm going to do?

Id just get new standard wishbones, wouldnt bother with polybushes. Think there bout £50 a side, but not too sure on that mate.

get your car on a Brake test at a MOT station you may find the calipers is sticking on the one side

Last edited:
I have seen a flexible brake hose that was deteoriating on the inside and therefore restricting fluid flow which made the brakes massively unbalanced.

Ph2 172
get your car on a Brake test at a MOT station you may find the calipers is sticking on the one side

Forgot to mention that they actually did a brake test on it and said both calipers were fine but one was very slightly better than the other. He said that it was not much of an imbalance and that it was not the cause.

Going to pursue the worn bushes as it goes right under hard acceleration which would suggest the bushes and not something brake related.

Yea brake fluid lines can collapse inside and restrict the flow, have seen that before, does also sound like the pads sticking in the carrier with brake dust build up but if brake rollers show no problems then you'll have to look elsewhere. Just gonna have to check everything over twice and make sure.