ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put best tyres on front or back?

Clio 182
can i ask why put them on the back?

i have always put them on the front because they are the driving and steering wheels?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Because it far easier to control understeer (front end sliding out) than oversteer (rear end sliding out)

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Front, how many times have you had the back end out without provoking it? Should not be driving on s**t tyres they are the most important component on a car.

Cool. Just bought a pair of 195 50 V Pilot Exaltos for my 15"ers from Costco for just £89!!!

1. Hoping the 50 will work okay on a Clio mk1, but should I have gone for a 45 really ifI plan to lower a lot? 50s were by far the cheapest.

2. Will it be okay / is is legal to have these 50s on the back and leave my current 45s on front?

Thanks.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Back is the general consensus, but...

How often do you have to brake in a straight line or turn around corners?

How often do you have to worry about the back end swinging around?

If you do the first more (which you will), then on the front is where the better tyres should be in my opinion.

The front tyres give you absolute control of your vehicle, providing acceleration, braking and cornering. Yet people recommend in crap weather, that you give all that control up by putting your two 'good' tyres on the back and leaving s*** ones on the front.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why do people always assume the other tyres are s**t. My rear ones are fine, but if they where never put on the front they'd never wear out.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Personally i'd put them on the back.

Purely because i have faith in my ability to control understeer (ish!)

If the back end went, i'm not sure i'd know what to do in the 0.00001 seconds i have before i stack it.

Just my 2p's worth.

M2 Competition
Cool. Just bought a pair of 195 50 V Pilot Exaltos for my 15"ers from Costco for just £89!!!

1. Hoping the 50 will work okay on a Clio mk1, but should I have gone for a 45 really ifI plan to lower a lot? 50s were by far the cheapest.

2. Will it be okay / is is legal to have these 50s on the back and leave my current 45s on front?

Thanks.

Im on 195/50 15s front and 195/45 16 rear at the moment, lol. You'll be fine mate.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
As long as the tyres on each axle are the same u wil be fine. i had 155/55/13's on the back and 165/65/13's on the front of my old car passed mot and a police check point!

I've made a final decision based on all your answers (wish I posted a poll for this controversial subject). Tbf my final decision is also based on frivolous speculation!

My new Exaltos will go on the back. The consensus is that rear tyres should be the best ones ... but also from memory the fronts wear out much quicker, so this also wins on economical points.

Also, because I've never seen a respected movie / super / performance car where the front wheels were chunkier than the back, it seems right that the thicker tyres should be on the rear axle for now?

Please confirm with numerous thumbs-up that I've made the right decision!

One more (really important to me) question: Assuming I eventually have all 15", 195 50s fitted, what's the lowest I should lower, front and back. I'm not an expert at all, but have friends that will do the job for me if a few Clio experts can confirm the important data.

How many 'notches' on the rear torsion bar and how many mm up front? Definitive answers needed / appreciated.

Much thanks again!

Last edited:
*bump* to 2nd page for those still interested in quesions beyond he first one.

I've made a final decision based on all your answers (wish I posted a poll for this controversial subject). Tbf my final decision is also based on frivolous speculation!

My new Exaltos will go on the back. The consensus is that rear tyres should be the best ones ... but also from memory the fronts wear out much quicker, so this also wins on economical points.

Also, because I've never seen a respected movie / super / performance car where the front wheels were chunkier than the back, it seems right that the thicker tyres should be on the rear axle for now?

Please confirm with numerous thumbs-up that I've made the right decision!

One more (really important to me) question: Assuming I eventually have all 15", 195 50s fitted, what's the lowest I should lower, front and back. I'm not an expert at all, but have friends that will do the job for me if a few Clio experts can confirm the important data.

How many 'notches' on the rear torsion bar and how many mm up front? Definitive answers needed / appreciated.

Much thanks again!

Best on the back always its improved braking and control as well (tested by magazine/tyre manurfacturers some have a guess people on here).