ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

q mile times

172 cup
hey guys went to a drag strip at the weekend to see some crazy jap action, ended up takin the cup on for a few blasts . is a 14.9 any good . what have u guys got . just wondering

182 Trophy
thats good and around what standard cups pull dude, a mates standard 225 ran a 14.5, hes fitted a bigger fmic and ran a 14.3, god knows what itll run after he has the stage 2 map

Never really understood the point in drag 'racing'. Does it really matter how fast your car can go in a straight line? Surely it's more fun to do tracksays and go round corners?

Westy. MX5
Never really understood the point in drag 'racing'. Does it really matter how fast your car can go in a straight line? Surely it's more fun to do tracksays and go round corners?

I'll agree with this, 14.5secs. of fun per day does no way compare with hours of adrenalin rush on a track day.
Also the faster you make your car the less time you'll be having fun on a "Strip".

Nippy white cup
I used to love it tbh...not particularly just the racing but the whole camping out the night before with good friends then having a good day racing after. I prefer trackdays 100% but the adrenilin when you are on the start line with everyone watching is amazing...as is beating 'faster' cars.

14.9 is about right for a std car...although there are a few freaks that run mid 14's.

Mine pre strippage

[YOUTUBE]J9XiDqrVs88[/YOUTUBE]

You have the launch technique sorted perfectly, that's where most of the big time differences come from between the cars. I think I raced you years ago at York (was in a red 205 Mi16) as soon as the lights went you were already 5 car lengths ahead!!! the gap stayed the same but your time was a very quick low 14s vs 15.0. The best I got out of the 205 was 14.9 but I was never really into 1/4 mile more trackdays, just feels like you are abusing the car!

Nippy white cup
I remember it well m8y...long time no see! I didn't mid the abuse bit becasue it was new and I knew the lads at the local renault. Used to go in with the race number still on and they still repaired it...got a couple of boxes and numerous engine mounts and even an engine on warranty lol!

Defo right about the launch...if you don't get a good balance of spin/grip then you are going to struggle unless you have a decent advantage power wise

Chris

Cammed 182 :)
if you were at santa pod the time would have been much lower crail is hard to get a fast time due to the grip levels.

172 cupapoop
if you were at santa pod the time would have been much lower crail is hard to get a fast time due to the grip levels.
i disagre tbh as i've run my car @ pod and york and run exactly the same times and had quite a few consistant runs not just odd fluke ones that happen to be the same.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
i disagre tbh as i've run my car @ pod and york and run exactly the same times and had quite a few consistant runs not just odd fluke ones that happen to be the same.

True, my GTi had within 0.03 difference on 6 occasions between York and Sant Pod.

I prefer drag racing to track days, Each to there own i suppose, but i set myself targets and like to beat them.

172 cupapoop
True, my GTi had within 0.03 difference on 6 occasions between York and Sant Pod.

I prefer drag racing to track days, Each to there own i suppose, but i set myself targets and like to beat them.
you had the quick standard gti iirc

53 Clio's & counting
I do enjoy 1/4's, as said it takes a lot more skill than most realise, as well as having people watching which can make you nervous, the surface is very different to the road.

Iv seen 300bhp Cossie's running 15's because the owner couldnt launch the car right, a mate could not get his standard williams under 15.8 for the same reason.

On the other end, my mate in a 100% standard VTS ran 14.8 because he could launch it right.

As long as you dont go mental and give a slight bit of sympathy (like on a track day) then it can be a really fun day out between mates :)

Its amazing how a missed gear can put a second on your time.

evo 5rs 510bhp
I will be taking my cup to pod soon to see what it can do as i did loads of rwyb days in my old car which was a 490bhp spec c impreza which did 11.4sec @ 120mph

Iceberg 172
My Polo was low 13's and I managed a 14.6 in my Ibiza Cupra.

I would of liked to of taken my TT to the Pod but never did.

I wouldn't take my Clio up a strip as imo thats not what this car is about, it should be around 15 seconds so that's good enough for me! When / If I supercharge it I'd probably take it up to Pod then.

172 cup
I do enjoy 1/4's, as said it takes a lot more skill than most realise, as well as having people watching which can make you nervous, the surface is very different to the road.

Iv seen 300bhp Cossie's running 15's because the owner couldnt launch the car right, a mate could not get his standard williams under 15.8 for the same reason.

On the other end, my mate in a 100% standard VTS ran 14.8 because he could launch it right.

As long as you dont go mental and give a slight bit of sympathy (like on a track day) then it can be a really fun day out between mates :)

Its amazing how a missed gear can put a second on your time.

missed a gear a couple of times .nightmare, the other car usually just disapears

None
My reaction times were crap!.......i couldn't get it below 1.2 secs lol, it was my first time out and i didn't want to look a pillock stalling on the line :).......as a result though i could only manage a 15.9 best, couldn't get the hang of almost jumping the lights which is something apparently you are suppose to do to get a good reaction time.

Nippy white cup
True but it won't make a difference to your times tbh m8. The timer only starts once you move off the line..reaction times are only any real use if you are racing the guy next to you

Chris

Iceberg 172
True but it won't make a difference to your times tbh m8. The timer only starts once you move off the line..reaction times are only any real use if you are racing the guy next to you

Chris

Just about to say this!

Quite a few of the "big boys" will lit the lights go green way before setting off just to make sure they get a perfect start.

None

Chris

Oh yeah i remember that now :eek:
My mate said i wheelspun for the first 100 yards which i why i got the bad times :)

Iceberg 172
Oh yeah i remember that now :eek:
My mate said i wheelspun for the first 100 yards which i why i got the bad times :)

Probably... 1/4 miles are all about your start. Too much revs and you'll spin up, not enough and you'll bog down.

53 Clio's & counting
:(

I was getting aroound 2.1 in my hybrid with a 1/4 in 14.0 and for reference, my mate in his S1 Elise was doing 1.9, and a 1/4 in 14.1

Ph1

Crail is different mate. For a start theres a hill plus no sticky stuff on the start line.

It really is a basic strip.

They reckon if you run at Crail you'll get a better time at york, Pod etc but a slower terminal

None
I was quite happy with 15.9 as i had s**te tyres on and i'm carrying extra ballast too :eek:

I think my terminal for that run was 94mph

Ph1

I'll agree with this, 14.5secs. of fun per day does no way compare with hours of adrenalin rush on a track day.
Also the faster you make your car the less time you'll be having fun on a "Strip".

Everyone wants to know how quick their car is and the only way to measure this in near road conditions is up a quarter mile rather than pulling out rolling road figures and blabbing off down the pub.

Also gives you a guide to how quick it is against others.

Another advantage is its a pretty low risk event if your wheels are your daily drive.
Iv seen the carnage of track days and folk who put their pride and joy everyday cars on must be nuts

None
Everyone wants to know how quick their car is and the only way to measure this in near road conditions is up a quarter mile rather than pulling out rolling road figures and blabbing off down the pub.

Also gives you a guide to how quick it is against others.

Another advantage is its a pretty low risk event if your wheels are your daily drive.
Iv seen the carnage of track days and folk who put their pride and joy everyday cars on must be nuts
I agree with this, i would never take my pride and joy on a track day but doing the drag racing was cheap, fun and no more likely to damage the car than pulling away quick from a set of traffic lights.