ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question from a Newbie

RenaultSport clio 17
Afternoon chaps, nice site you have here.

Anyway, getting rid of my focus in the next few weeks and have a 172 cup lined up. My one question is most likely an obvious and irritating one, but is it 172bhp at the wheels or at the fly?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
It would be at the fly, if its a standard cup you're probably looking at 145bhp @ the wheels...thats what mine produced with about 8,500 miles on the clock, they tend to open up a bit after 10K and mines now on 31K and loving it!

Even then its not 172bhp, but 172ps (equates to 170bhp). Still bloody good for a car with the weight of the 172 cup.

Good choice of car, welcome to the club.
Donny

RenaultSport clio 17
It seems to be a wee tarmac terrorist, mk2, superchipped, 182 alloys.

Was just a bit concerned about the bhp since Ive just sold my 175bhp Hyundai Coupe.

BHP is relative to weight, the coupe will be alot heavier and the chassis will be complete toss compared to the clio.

Avoid superchips btw, also 182 alloys on a 172 cup will narrow the track due to the offset and the 182 wheels weight more.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
You've gotta remember though, what was the weight of the coupe? The cup is circa 1021Kgs (89Kg lighter than a normal 172). there is more power to be gained from them, there are a few lads on here who do the engine modifications, you'll get to know them after a while.

There's also a 1.8 Turbo Clio TT with circa 360Bhp!!!!

RenaultSport clio 17
Granted the coupe was an appallingly heavy 1400kgs.

So the general consensus is to maybe flog on the 182 alloys and go for something more traditional.

it's your call but just wanted you to be aware there was a track width issue and a weight issue compared to the standard cup wheels. width can be sorted with spacers but the weight will still be more with the 182 rims.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Get the Turini's (original 172 cup wheels) and then either get them refurbed in anthracite (so they are the same as the Trophy's wheels) or leave them as standard...just for the extra track that the wheels provide (20mm front, 10mm rear [or other way round!] extra than a standard 172!

Ps. I think that the 172 cup wheels are lighter than the 182s wheels but guys, don't flame me if I'm wrong!!!

clio 172 mk2
Rocko1981 said:
Afternoon chaps, nice site you have here.

Anyway, getting rid of my focus in the next few weeks and have a 172 cup lined up. My one question is most likely an obvious and irritating one, but is it 172bhp at the wheels or at the fly?

My 2003 172 put 147.3 hp at the wheels. no mods.
regards

193 mk2
its all relative as different rr can give different readings, it all depends on how accurate the rr is!!! some give higher readings and some give lower readings some are accurate and some are out, some are nearly accurate and some are just totally bogus