ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick clay question...

RB 182
As said I'd wash then clay (out of the sun, nightmare otherwise) personally I wash again after clay and then the whole polish, sealant and wax process.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I always leave mine in a bucket of hot water when i'm applying the quick detailer, it keeps it nice and warm and makes it easier to use/apply.

ST
Darren yours is sorted now i take it?? I remember when you put some pics up of your bonnet a while back....

106 GTi
Will be fine, as long as you are not in direct sunlight, the panel is cool, and you use plenty of the quick detailer.

al

ST on the way...
Did a Jeep on Sunday in full sun and it came out absolutely spot on, but there we're two of us doing it and used nearly a bottle of detailer :S

DSCF3139.gif

What result is the clay supposed to give? I bought some Zymol Klay and Lube and it did next to nothing!?!? I was hoping it might remove some light scratches etc... but no......

106 GTi
Clay will remove stuck on bonded contaminents washing wont get off.

If anything will make scratches look worse as it takes the finish back to clean paint, so any glazes or waxes on there filling and hiding defects will also be removed.

Only way to to remove scratches is to polish!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
benclelland said:
As said I'd wash then clay (out of the sun, nightmare otherwise) personally I wash again after clay and then the whole polish, sealant and wax process.

:rofl: Why the hell do you wash the car after claying it? Theres no point whatsoever.

al

ST on the way...
polarbert said:
:rofl: Why the hell do you wash the car after claying it? Theres no point whatsoever.

There's no need, there should be tonnes of detailing spray over the car, as good as a wash!! :S

106 GTi
I wash the car after claying aswell due to claying it with a soap and water mix as it allows you to get the panels wetter than wasting a whole bottle of quick detailer just to clay the car.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Had you thought about using autoglym shampoo Rich? Then you wouldn't have to wash the car afterwards. A little bit in a bottle with water. I used it today and it worked very well.

106 GTi
I just use whatever shampoo I have handy, couple of capfuls in a canyon spray bottle and off I go.

What did you do -clay, rinse the panel and dry?

al

ST on the way...
Rich said:
I wash the car after claying aswell due to claying it with a soap and water mix as it allows you to get the panels wetter than wasting a whole bottle of quick detailer just to clay the car.

I'm just going by the fact Steve didn't wash mine again after claying, just QD'd and dried it.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I tend to wash the car, then clay whilst using more shampoo as lube, effectively washing it again.

I used to use the QD and had to wash again just to get rid of all the dried QD marks that were left.

1.6 16v
rite my clio is in need of some tlc! what products do i need to have her gleaming and the process, i have no idea! please help!!!!

106 GTi
By Hand -

Wash
Clay - Megs Quick Clay
Swirl Remove - Scratch X
Polish - Autoglym Super Resin
Seal - Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Wax - P21s

106 GTi
By Machine -

IMG_1250.jpg

This turned out ok.

Sonus Yellow SFX Cutting Pad - Poorboys SSR 2.5
Sonus White SFX Polishing Pad - Optimum Polish
Waxed by hand - P21s

106 GTi
The yearly big clean of clay, polish and seal is a days work, once done, a weekly wash and quick detail, glass and trim and maybe a coat of wax is only an hour or two's worth of work.

1.6 16v
how about the other stuff?
sorry about this but i normally get it done at a car wash and i am starting to notice the swirls and so think its time to do it myself!

106 GTi
Some bits come up on ebay.

The Blue one was one I did for a Dave (Dave Hughes on here) mine is the black one behind.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Can't see the point of getting anything off ebay to be honest, the savings won't be much.

Follow Rich's advice and you can't go far wrong...