ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick photography question - Joby Gorillapod or...

...anything else you could recommend?

Long story short. Off on holiday next week, but don't want to take a massive tripod with me.

Is the SLR Gorillapod the best investment? Or are there any other tabletop/mini SLR tripods that are equally as portable and will support my camera?

I'm no brand snob so if it's an ebay 5 quid jobbie then that's fine by me. Budget is no more than the gorillapod, so circa £25 and has to be capable of supporting a canon 450D plus small lens.

Cheers
Sam

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How big is a 450D compared to a 1000D?

I have something similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Tripod-CANON...30463295816?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e6037e948and i trust it on my 1000 with the kit lens but i wouldn't trust it on anytihng heavier tbh. You get what you pay for. ( I wont use it for my 30D as i dont really trust it)

I've never used a Gorillapod before but my mate uses one for his bridge camera and he swears by it.

Aaron

Edit: If its windy then i wouldn't trust that at all. It fell over when i used it for my flash once. Needs some weights.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you want to borrow my GorillaPod (not SLR IIRC) .. used to carry my 450 + 10-20 (heavy b*****ding lens!) without worry... you're welcome to it !

Now then ... where the bejesuz is it..............

Found it + took a pic

5812555851_2da2135376_z.jpg

Last edited:
How big is a 450D compared to a 1000D?

I have something similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Tripod-CANON...30463295816?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e6037e948and i trust it on my 1000 with the kit lens but i wouldn't trust it on anytihng heavier tbh. You get what you pay for. ( I wont use it for my 30D as i dont really trust it)

I've never used a Gorillapod before but my mate uses one for his bridge camera and he swears by it.

Aaron

Edit: If its windy then i wouldn't trust that at all. It fell over when i used it for my flash once. Needs some weights.

450D is not a huge amount bigger than the 1000D, the body is slightly heavier but dimension wise it is very similar. Will also only be shooting with the kit 18-55 or my 50mm so no huge zooms to worry about. Thanks for the link. Ideally looking for something I can stuff in my camera bag, but for compact tripods that actually looks really decent and is definitely one for me to bear in mind!!

If you want to borrow my GorillaPod (not SLR IIRC) .. used to carry my 450 + 10-20 (heavy bastarding lens!) without worry... you're welcome to it !

Now then ... where the bejesuz is it..............

:approve: Amazing offer Mr Giraffe!! I was wondering if the compact gorilla would be up to the job rather than the SLR one?! I'm not actually planning on wrapping it round any trees etc... Merely that I'll be travelling light and would be handy to keep it in the bag so I can set up quickly should the situation arise.

Haha they just look ridiculous/brilliant (unsure which)?!

The standard gorilla pod is apparently only rated to 300g weight, but if it's up to the job I'll either take you up on the offer or get one from ebay... £12.95 is the best price I've seen so far!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ha ok .. well for £13 you might as well grab yourself one (not that I'd have charged you for rental haha) !

If it doesn't turn up in time, gimme a buzz.

Pretty sure it will be useful to have anyway :) I'll drop you a pm if I have no luck, cheers for that.

And I'm guessing the general consensus is avoid the £3 ones on ebay like the plague lol!

182FF with cup packs
I bought a standard Gorillapod and found it a bit lacking for my 450D, it just seemed like it was just right on the very edge of what the gorillapod would take even with only my 50mm on it.

I then got a SLR-Zoom Gorillapod, and that thing is a monster, It will hold my 450D with my Tamron 70-300 on it with ease. Keep meaning to buy the ball head for it, but I have even mounted my tripod head which weighs 900g itself with no problems.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I took mine to a CS meet once as I had lent my tripod to a friend - never again!
The non photography geeks thought it was a sex toy of some kind lol :eek:

Haha thanks for feedback guys!!

Ordered one just now, actually ended up going for the SLR gorilla pod as it was only an extra few quid, and thought for the sake of maybe buying bigger lenses in future, was wise to go for that above the standard :)