ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could really do with some camera advice

Evening all,

Just wondering if any of the photographers amongst us could help me choose a camera (I know there are countless threads on this, but I am still undecided!) I am looking to buy this month...

Right up until yesterday I had been set on a "bridge/superzoom" camera because I thought being a photography newbie would see me have little use for a DSLR. Namely the Fuji HS10, which I tried recently and really liked as it retained many of the SLR features, with the added bonus of a versatile zoom lens.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/fujifi...gory_id=0&match_type=1&time=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

However... I am now thinking that I may be better spending that little bit extra to get into DSLR territory. After getting through all the sticky's on here and looking around my budget I think the Canon 1000D with 18-55mm lens fits the bill:

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-...813.html?match_type=1&sort_ord=3&sort_dir=asc

Although it is £150 more expensive :S

As a complete photo novice (never used anything other than point and shoot before) will I see massive gains over the bridge by getting the DSLR?

Is the 18-55mm lens going to be sufficient for a diverse range of photos? It will mainly be car and holiday shots for the time being. I have just about got my head around the different zooms from wide angle to telephoto but I am worried that I will immediately have to fork out for extra lenses.

What would you recommend in my situation. Budget is hopefully not going above that of the 1000D at £375 (I know quality and budget doesn't always go hand in hand!) Are there any camera's I have massively overlooked? Lots of cheaper DSLR's are available (sony alpha etc...) but from what I gather canon & nikon are both rated.

Finally anyone know if digitalrev.com are good suppliers? Website looks genuine etc... anywhere cheaper about?

Sorry for the essay and thanks for any help that you can throw my way :)

Thanks Matt... Little afternoon bump for any photographers about before I put my money in the wrong place!

Also now considering the possibility of second hand to get that little bit extra for my money...

Spent the evening in Jessops playing with the entry level DSLR's. Going to go for the Canon 1000D as I preferred the feel and navigation to the Nikon D3100 :) I know I could get more for the money second hand but the appeal of a new camera with a warranty outweighs it imo...

BG 182
Not a bad camera but depending on how much you intend on pursuing it you'll probably find you need to upgrade it after not a massive amount of time. The 450d's can be picked up for a decent amount now.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd recommend (as ever!) 450d from canon's ebay outlet or on here or talk photography...

Whatever you get, you'll want to upgrade. I managed 18 months with my 450 before I went to the 7 and I don't think I'll go up from there for quite some time / ever.

Not a bad camera but depending on how much you intend on pursuing it you'll probably find you need to upgrade it after not a massive amount of time. The 450d's can be picked up for a decent amount now.

Thought this might be the case. The 450D works out about £100 extra, but to start with I think I'd rather put that 100 quid towards a decent 50mm f/1.8 lens or a telephoto lens before I go on holiday to get me started. It's my first SLR so hopefully it will keep me occupied for a year or so until I have learnt the basics!

I'd recommend (as ever!) 450d from canon's ebay outlet or on here or talk photography...

Whatever you get, you'll want to upgrade. I managed 18 months with my 450 before I went to the 7 and I don't think I'll go up from there for quite some time / ever.

Oh dear...another vote for 450D. Photography gets expensive quickly!

Cheers mate ^

Also just out of curiosity why do people feel the need to upgrade so quickly? I'm not too fussed by LCD size or movie capture... What will a better camera body give me over a cheaper one with a decent lens?

:S NOOB ALERT!

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unless you really want one this weekend... Keep an eye out. There'll be more along in the next couple of weeks.

I'd want the 18-55 IS lens, not the DC one personally.

One last one from me for the evening: http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SDIGCAN450D1855A

Second hand from computer exchange 450D with 18-55 mm lens. In stock locally so I could easily go and view, £350. Condition A and 12 month warranty... Fair price?

And will the ease of use be similar to that of the 1000D? I only tried the 1000D and 550D (or 500D, not sure) out of the canon range. Anything obvious to look for buying second hand?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
As it's been mentioned, dont rush in to it.
I've had a 1000D for 18 or so months and for the past month or so i've been looking at upgrading the body and getting a new lense. Both have turned up this week.
I shopped around for my lense and got the body 2nd hand from here.
There are bargains to be had, you just have to wait a while and shop around. The one on ebay will at least double in price i reckon, and if you are buying a kit, like Giraffe said, get it with the IS lense.

The benefit of buying a better model now is that it will save you in the long term when you will want to upgrade.

That's a pretty resounding no all round for the 1000D then!! Looks like 450D is a popular choice.

The computer exchange one is very appealing at £350 as it has the 12months warranty. I'll go give it a try at the weekend.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Never heard of that website. My experience buying various things online - do homework ! Find review sites .. google the websites name for reviews. Make sure there aren't too many unhappy customers.

Good luck ;)

Computer exchange are a big chain of franchises buying and selling used goods, they have shops as well as online stuff. Me and the Missus have both has our past two phone handsets off of them and they seem to be pretty good so far, so fingers crossed they wouldn't screw me over with a broken camera.

Thanks again for all the advice tonight CS :)

I have just started selling pics and I am away from the norm and using a 4/3rds camera in the shape of the Olympus E-620. Very well specced for the price. Live view, 4FPS, built in IS and nice and compact!

BG 182

That's the route i'm looking at taking. I'm using a 450d with the 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm f1.8, and 55-250. Buying the Tamron 17-55mm in the next couple of weeks to replace the kit lens, then from there it's a very expensive journey.

Buy new if that's what you're happy with.

To start with, your pictures are going to look crap. You need to learn the camera, the settings, what changing the ISO/shutter/aperture does, how to set up a shot, when/how to use the flash and loads of other things.

It doesn't matter if you have the lowest spec consumer model or you've gone for a full frame pro jobby that costs more than you car. You still need the learn the basics.

Upgradeitus will kick in soon enough but more/better glass is generally better than buying another body.

To start with, your pictures are going to look crap. You need to learn the camera, the settings, what changing the ISO/shutter/aperture does, how to set up a shot, when/how to use the flash and loads of other things.

It doesn't matter if you have the lowest spec consumer model or you've gone for a full frame pro jobby that costs more than you car. You still need the learn the basics.

Upgradeitus will kick in soon enough but more/better glass is generally better than buying another body.

This.

Canon 1100d (replaced the 1000d) would be a good shout if you want to buy new.

BG 182

Agreed, i'd be inclined to spend the extra £100 for a 450d though and get a body that won't be outgrown too quick. Saves buying another body not too far down the line, i.e more cash for lens upgrades.

Thanks again for the input guys. I know full well that I will be the biggest limiting factor when it comes to usage and not the body of the camera, but I will probably follow the advice on here and go and try a 450D at the weekend. If I buy second hand (I think the 450D has been discontinued?) the price is the same as the 1000D would be new. Only thing I am worried about is the shutter being classed as a "consumable" and it not being covered by warranty if it was to go in the first 12months.

Adam.R - I tried the 1100D in jessops and imo found it offered little over the 1000D but cost a fair bit more. However that may just be due to the fact that I am a complete novice user.

Revels - Thanks for the insight, your guides have been invaluable in my camera hunt and helping to understand lens quality, iso settings etc...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The shutter isn't a consumable. They're normally good for welllllllll over 30k. Unless you're a snap happy shutterbug, you wont get near that in the time you have it. Do some homework online .. you'll see they generally last a LOT longer than that.

My 7d won't offer a complete novice standing in Jessops much more than a 1000d will, apart from a hefty dent in one's bank account :rasp:

The shutter isn't a consumable. They're normally good for welllllllll over 30k. Unless you're a snap happy shutterbug, you wont get near that in the time you have it. Do some homework online .. you'll see they generally last a LOT longer than that.

Shutterwise, I have read that the 450D is good for about 100,000. It's not my usage that would be a concern, more the use it's had before I get it, because the one I am looking at is second hand without a shutter count. Should this be a worry?

My 7d won't offer a complete novice standing in Jessops much more than a 1000d will, apart from a hefty dent in one's bank account :rasp:

Thought that might be the case with me being a newbie :( As far as I could tell the major diffs from 1100D to 1000D were just video shooting, better iso sensitivity and a slightly larger screen and mega pixels. At new prices, for £10 quid more I could get the 500D which seemed in a whole different league.

2.2 bar shed.

Rated for 150k. I've already munched up 35k exposures on mine. If you do time lapse stuff the exposures fly past :(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you've got the money .. get a 500d... whatever you get, you'll either get bored and sell up in 6 months, or sell up and upgrade later on !

Couldnt remember the exact figures on the shutter lifespan but knew it was something silly. Anyway, if it does fail, they're hardly expensive anyway :)

Fingers crossed the shutter wont be an issue then (clicks aren't stated where I am looking 2nd hand but I've seen a couple of bits of software that claim to be able to do a canon shutter count).

I think a 500D would be really stretching the budget. 450D plus another decent lens would be my preferred choice I reckon

Right, just to keep you all updated...

I am now the very happy owner of a Canon 450D. Purchased this morning, 2nd hand from computer exchange with a 12 month warranty. The only slight sign of wear is a small comsmetic blemish on the LCD screen that you cannot see when it is lit up.

Thank you once again for all the help and advice and particularly TheEvilGiraffe who originally recommended the 450D :) (and turns out to be not so evil after all...)

Now all I have to do is learn to take some half decent photos (*Cue hours of reading and youtube tutorials)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Good luck dude. Just use it as much as you can and learn from what settings you try out.

There are a lot of people on here that can help you out too.

Will do :)

Already overwhelmed by the picture quality and it does feel like a step up from the 1000D I was originally contemplating from jessops.