ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question :insurance

trophy #50
Hi guys,
Long time and all that.
Right, with my insurance renewal, I'm now insured to drive other cars third party. Do the other cars have to be insured fully comp ? I think the other half wants to take the trophy to work tomorrow and leave me his car. If I get called into work, I want to be sure I'm insured.
Thanks in advance.

trophy #50
Read your insurance policy.

eje3yju6.jpg

I have, but I'm not 100% sure what the regulations are. I'll probably end up calling them tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask whilst I was online.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I would wait until the renewal comes into play on the 15th like has been mentioned.

As long as the other car has insurance regardless of cover. You will be ok to drive!

trophy #50
Stupid! Didn't even look at the date, I chose my payments to come out on the 1st so had that date in my head for renewal. My bad. So, for FUTURE reference, I should be ok. I'll call privilege tomorrow to make sure. Thankyou

Ford Mustang 5.0
The reason insurers ask for the vehicle to be insured by its owner is so that when you get out of the car you are not leaving it uninsured. (the driving other cars cover goes on you not the vehicle).

Also under the new Government ruling any car that isnt insured has to be declared SORN so you wouldnt be able to use the uninsured car anyway.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

trophy #50
The reason insurers ask for the vehicle to be insured by its owner is so that when you get out of the car you are not leaving it uninsured. (the driving other cars cover goes on you not the vehicle).

Also under the new Government ruling any car that isnt insured has to be declared SORN so you wouldnt be able to use the uninsured car anyway.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

I'm not asking if I can drive a car thats not insured. I'm questioning the coverage. Does the other car have to be insured fully comp or just have some form of insurance be it third party etc?
I'm insured on his vxr as a name driver, but if he's insured third party on his golf, am I able to drive it too?
Thanks

I'm not asking if I can drive a car thats not insured. I'm questioning the coverage. Does the other car have to be insured fully comp or just have some form of insurance be it third party etc?
I'm insured on his vxr as a name driver, but if he's insured third party on his golf, am I able to drive it too?
Thanks

Read the policy booklet. It tells you in there.

MR2 Mk1.5
Thanks

It just needs to be insured but bear in mind your own cover on the vehicle (if using DOC) with only be third party.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Ah sorry mate my mistake, im not sure about other companies but we would just want the car to have minimum insurance on it so TPO or TPF+T cover would be fine

Black 172
As everyone else says its not in force until the policy starts anyway.

Check your policy booklet for the exact exclusions. Usual ones:

Does not apply to vans
Does not apply if the vehicle itself is not insured
Does not apply to vehicles owned by you
Does not apply outside of the UK or to vehicles not registered in the UK

The list goes on...