ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing at Silverstone

Turbos.
My dad and i were at Silverstone at the weekend for Britcar. It was interesting using the smaller International circuit, which i have no past experience of, and there is a good mix of corners with two hairpins, a very fast double apexed left and most of the best bits from the full circuit.

Our mate in a Supercharged Honda'd Exige had been thrown out of the competition (for having a Honda engine) so we were looking to maximise our points to have a shot at the overall trophy. We got worried because another Honda'd Exige turned up with a sequential to boot. Fortunately no supercharger though!

Some pit pics (we were using Red Bulls garages):

P1050174.jpg

P1050167.jpg

P1050171.jpg

Unfortunatley we ran into a problem during the test day before the race, with the alternator failing. Despite being a Motorsport item it struggled to cope with our higher revving engine and we had to get one ferried overnight to fit for the race.

P1050192.jpg

Our new radiator was also too efficient and the splitter fell off... duct tape to the rescue!

P1050191.jpg

Our mate in his S2 Exige faired worse though! He binned the car after Bridge neccessating a combination of tape and then a Waitrose fibreglass repair kit to put back the part of clam that he left behind...

P1050165.jpg

P1050166.jpg

P1050176.jpg

P1050178.jpg

This knock managed to upset more without us knowing, with the roof dramatically flying off at 100mph, not bad! Amazingly, the roof was found unscathed on the grass and put back on without trouble.

P1050190.jpg

P1050205.jpg

Other friends had a sweet ass Seat Leon, 1000kg, 300bhp and sequential. Pretty damn quick!

P1050254.jpg

P1050255.jpg

P1050257.jpg

The races went well for us. There is an unbeatable CSL (he might be getting chucked out too!) which won both races, but we at least managed 2nd in both ourselves. The races were fairly uneventful as the other Exige retired early, and other BMWs that were initially close ran into problems too. The Leon came 3rd in both races, despite the driver spinning on the warm up lap in the second race!!

Anyway, a few other snaps i got.

P1050206.jpg

P1050207.jpg

P1050181.jpg

P1050184.jpg

P1050186.jpg

P1050185.jpg

P1050187.jpg

P1050170.jpg

P1050210.jpg

P1050221.jpg

P1050224.jpg

The car is now getting a Quaife sequential fitted, along with better rear calipers and rear diffuser. Hopefully this will give us a shot at winning the championship with 3 races to go.

Cheers,

Rob

v6
Sounds like brilliant fun, wish i had the money to do it!

Some great pics too, those new Ginetta look really nice, saw a couple at Snetterton last weekend.

Turbos.
Yeah, insane how quick they can rebuild cars!

The road Ginetta was interesting... not exactly cohesive but must be a good drive. All carbon fibre and i think it is a tuned 3.5 V6 out of the new Mustangs. The race ones are basically as quick as the GT3 Cup cars but half the price.

Ginetta is very old skool, I remember some of their cars from years back, G4 springs to mind. I'm not overly keen on the new one though.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Were you in the garages nearer the end of the pitlane? I was with BPM for the morning but never saw you guys.

Still loving the SC on the Jag.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Was the Clio. Next time I should pay more attention.

What's happening with the CSL? I heard it had quite abit spent on it.

Turbos.
Just a bit. I fail to see how it is considered a production car. All i know is that in the driver's briefing they said they were reviewing it, and a few people have moaned about it - understandably IMO. If they don't ban it for the next event i doubt they will though... bit pointless otherwise.

I don't see the point in having such a fast car in our races anyway, there is no competition... which is the whole point of racing.

Great thread/pics. Are you intending to do the Brands night race? I'm hoping to go along, and probably the 24hr at Silverstone as well.

I love the G50s, great looking car in my opinion and appear to have been very successful already, certainly plenty out racing already.

Renaultsport 220T
NIce one Rob, good write up too.

I guess your main competition was busy at Hockenheim with the RB team.

Let's hope your remaining rounds co-inside with more F1 weekends.

See you tmo nite.

Turbos.
Little progress on the car since crashing it into the CSL...

First is a Quaife sequential. Not known for its reliability and its not quite a flat upshift but we couldn't get a Hewland and the OEM box is fubard so plan is to sell it once the season is over.

Dscn0517.jpg

For a mid-engined car there isn't much rear braking. This was part of the reason why i hit the CSL, as the rears had locked up. So, the car now has bigger APs on the back to match the 4 pots at the front.

Dscn0522.jpg

Also a proper biasing system

Dscn0520.jpg

Turbos.
Never mind!

Well, this weekend has been an epic fail! New gearbox won't let us have 5th and after driving around it for a bit the engine expired, on its first outing since a rebuild. No compression on cyl 1, so am now back home awaiting the verdict.