ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raid 5 Array/Snap Appliance

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
ok so i have inherited a Snap Appliance 4500, its got 4x 250GB drives in a Raid 5 array.

1) I've booted the thing up but have no idea what the IP address is or how to change it

2) I beleive that the physical drive order may have been mixed up *ahem* at some point - if so am i screwed or is there any way to tell what the original order was?

PH2 Clio 172
These things are usually configured via a webpage. I have not used a Snap before but if it were me I would connect it up on a network with a DHCP server so it should pick up an IP on its own. Then do an IP scan (use 'Angry IP Scanner'). You should hopefully get a hit on the IP the Snap box has, then get your web browser open and type the IP in after http://

Failing that I found a user guide on the net: ftp://ftp.cesnet.cz/.vol/ftp.adaptec.com/pdfs/quick_start_guides/snap_server_4500-4200_v26_qsg.pdf

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
cheers guys, i've read through that guide - it looks like the device is up and operational and i've connected using a crossover to the lan port, but cannot find any ip addresses using an ip scanner. hmmmmm

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
cheers guys, i've read through that guide - it looks like the device is up and operational and i've connected using a crossover to the lan port, but cannot find any ip addresses using an ip scanner. hmmmmm

Install wireshark and see if it's emitting any packets, with any luck it'll be spewing out something that'll lead you to it's IP address. You'll probably want to cycle the power after scanning as it's probably more likely to do something straight after boot.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
am i right in thinking the whole thing will be shagged if the disks are in the wrong order?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yes and no.
The RAID array will probably be broken and the data all but lost, but there'll be nothing stopping you from rebuilding the array and using it again (as if starting from scratch).
RAID 5 arrays usually take a while to build and synchronise though.

Last edited:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
well, i'm in! crossover cable, ip sniffer, got the ip address, then downloaded the snap manager software and change the ip to sit on our network. Its got 1 failed disk unit - the HDs in the device are not made any more - will new version of the same model work in the array or do you have to replace all 4 at the same time?

cheers.

182FF with cup packs
Any drive of the same size (or bigger) should do the trick. If it is bigger though you will not get the advantage of any extra space from that drive, it will only use the capacity of the old drive.

Also, if it's in RAID5 and only one disk has failed, all the data should still be on it.

If you don't care about the data, just slam some bigger drives into it and rebuild the array.

edit: Oh, also, dpending on how the array thinks the drive is failed, you may just be able to do a rebuild onto the existing drive (though if it's not seeing said drive then it's no good, this will only work if it's a case that the drive has fallen out of the array)