ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RAM SCOOP

ok i want one!!
what can i make it out of so it aint too much of a nightmare??
ideas please. either to replace fog light or sit under like i was talking to nick about ( he knows what i mean ).

BMW 320d Sport

Well if were talking about an under-scoop then you want some kind of rainwater hopper that is long and thin. The standard ones are at least 6x4" and thats too chunky to go under the bumper.

Id say the best bet it try to make one out of 2mm aluminium sheet, easy to bend to shape and rivet.

BMW 320d Sport

B&Q or homebase. Look in the plumbing section. While youre there a metre of their 4" aluminium tumble dryer hose might take your fancy for £8.

mmm. i feel a mad scientist style invention coming on... if theres enough room, all i need now is 2 dead rats, a table cloth and a small teddy.. HA HA HA HA HA!!!
ill let u know whats happening when i get the bits nick, might pop into a plumbing wholesalers to see if they do different shapes and sizes too.

BMW 320d Sport

yeah once you see all the piepwork on offer youll dream up some mental air ducting scheme like I did. But Robs airbox and computer fans still takes the prize for a real madcap invention.

You’ve inspired me to come up with something myself so I’ve just been wandering around B&Q.

Your totally right about all the cool bits of pipework!! I’ve just picked up some flexible hose for now while I draw up some plans

Did Robs fans blow into the airbox or did they measure the airflow? I was thinking you could use fans like that to work out where the air flow was going at different speeds.

how much of a filter is a filter if u get what i mean?
would a mesh grill at the bottom, with a cottony filter lining behind be sufficient if i removed the filter completely?

I shouldnt think so.

Something with a small surface area filtering that much air at that pressure would also be pretty restrictive.

You need the larger surface area of a filter to allow the clean air in through something that is still restrictive enough to keep out the crap.

Thats my guess anyway!

you wouldnt ned a filter if we didnt have to drve behind other cars, its to prevent the stuff cars in front throw up at us. My friend got a away with a t-shirt in his golf for ages! till i bought him a filter cause hes such a cheapo.

Id try and get the largest surface area you can of a performance air filter in a box.

At best youll impede performance with a small piece blocking a duct or worst youll damage your engine by letting crap in because it isnt restrictive enough.

This is why induction kits etc have a large surface area of some hi-tec materials and theyre not just a bit of material on the end of a pipe Car manufacturers could save a lot of money and under bonnet space if this was all that was needed!

stiil, there wouldnt be enough surface area to successfully do that inbetweena join. The only reason it worked on the golf is cause it has a huge airbox. try the green filter twister as it is huge and can be made as part of a sealed system.

i may have a plan... and as i do air conditioning controlls and stuff i should be able to get some of the stuff they use as filters, that lets high speed air through and is filtery restrictive at the same time. mmmmmm...

182 cup, 8 gordini

did you know you can now by a unit to fit into the front bumper, which has a in built air ram.. it is only for serise 1 cars....
just need to make hole a bit bigger...
they come with new lights and mesh...
i will organise a photo of it.
regards paul.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah thanks for the email on that, is it the old Clio were talking about though, or the new one? ie the one between 1991 and 1996 or the later one?

dont forget, if the induction system is too long you WILL loose torque and the engine will take ages to pickup.....When you plant the throttle, the engine will have to move the entire contents of the induction system as a whole.

it wont be too long. same as the others. plus we proved on the RR day u can get an xtra 10 bhp from doing it with robs ( djmcfish ) car.

all im saying for now is same sort of idea as nicks. ram air in!
let u know once ive delved more into it this weekend.
plus hopefully my way will be quicker and easier to make up then the others.

if your using the ram air principle, then it will only work at speed. and you will need a pressurised/sealed airbox in which the filter is contained. if the filter is outside this box, then it wont work.
but good luck, i too am creating one from samco hoses and a naca duct.

Hello peeps. Im new here but thought Id give my two pennies worth...

...dont mount the intake too low down or youll be sucking up water into the engine the first big puddle you go through, thus ending up with a engine rebuild project you werent expecting!

yeah, the old espaces used to have a air intake below the engine and they esed to blow every time it rained! but, its pretty hard to suck up water unless the entire intake is covered or under water.

BMW 320d Sport

You just have to be careful in wet weather. You really have to avoid standing water or its bye bye engine. Apart from that its fine, in heavy rain it actually cools down the lump slightly, homemade water injection!

If you have already got an induction kit it wont matter where you take cold air from even if you do go through a puddle so long as your airbox is not sealed, when the water gets to your ram scoop and fills it the engine will still breathe air through the filter but not fromthe scoop if you do however put a low mounted scoop to a sealed airbox you could hydraulic the engine. Hill Power have an under bumper scoop for sale Discounts to cliospost members.

I hate to piss on the parade a bit but part of the reason for the 10 ish BHP was the revs used as well as the air ram. The first run was at 7000rpm and the second higher result at 6500.

7000 was just too high!!

BMW 320d Sport

Nick - Ive been looking for an underbumper scoop for a while, can you lmk a bit more about it? Where does it fit and what are the dimensions?

182 cup, 8 gordini

sorry for the delay in response...
but the new air intake is for the clio 11, models... they also have a bonet duct... they are avalible from prima, ask for sean, and tell him paul told you about them...
i will try and get the scanner working and try and send pics...
regards paul.

ive bought the bits now but it rained today so i didnt bother trying anything.
nick, is your sh*t gaurd missing now behind the fog light or have u put it back in after?