ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RAM upgrading....

Stuck another 512in my Pc a few months ago giving me 1gig but feeling the need for more now that I'm trying to handle half gig images in Photoshop!

If I can flog one off to a house mate I'm thinking of buying a 1 gig stick.
Question is can I run different size sticks next to each other, 1gig next to a 512? - 1524GB?

Then can my house mate run 256 next to my 512 providing their compatible of course?

you can run them next to each uther but they run at diff seeds ure better of just buyin 1 gig Card
I only had 256 MB ram in my comp so i went and bought a 1 gig card for £60 and put that in bside my old 1 then got told they go at dif speeds so i took the 256 1 out at my computer is faster and has stopped crashing

Clio DCi 65
Well i use to have 256mb in my laptop,

then stuck a 512mb in there with it and its much faster than before?

I've got 2x512 in their at the moment, just can't afford to buy 2x1Gig thanks to a clamper.

So providing I buy the same speed 1Gig it should run well next to the 512?

Clio DCi 65
I'd say so,

My laptops running a hell of a lot better,

Before if i was burning a dvd i couldnt use it,

Now if i burn sumthin i got extra ram to ftp games 2 my xbox!!

Just make sure you get the right pc2700/3200 and they will work together

172 Exclusive #114
You can run different sizes of DIMM in your PC no problem at all, they can ever be different speeds as the bus will step down to the speed of the lowest DIMM - although this can introduce some reliability issues.

If you've got a motherboard that has supports dual-channel, you can get a matched pair (2 sticks of identical RAM) and run them in slots 1 and 3. (Channel 1=Slots 1/2, Channel 2=Slots 3/4).

My board has 2 slots, used cpu-z last time to work out if it was pc 2700 or 3200, except I can't work it out this time!

From what I can see I have CAS 3.0 so it'd be hard to buy anything slower.

So far I'm looking for 1 Gig of DDR-SDRAM with Latency of 3 or better and think it was 184-Pin.

Is there any way to work out if my board can take 1 gig in a slot?

Last edited:
  172 Exclusive #114
From looking at that, I'd guess you're on PC3200 - best way to check; whip the case open and see what it says on the sticks! I can almost guarantee you'll be able to put a gig stick in your machine.

From looking at that, I'd guess you're on PC3200 - best way to check; whip the case open and see what it says on the sticks! I can almost guarantee you'll be able to put a gig stick in your machine.

Thanks, Yeah I'm just being lazy... opens up....dang this things got dustballs!

Yup 3200! Thanks!

Clio DCi 65
To be honest mate,

When u turn ur comp on get into the bios,

It wil say on there

Its F11 i have to click on my pc!

Give that a try,

Should say pc2700 or ..

thanks guys, plugged it in and is working fine, can now toggle between Counter strike, iTunes and fire fox with relative ease!

Also pimped out with some blue cathodes :Geek:

Bumder With A Buffer
ok this might be a dumb question... with ram can u just use the same type but from a different manufacturer?? I havea 512mb 266mhz PC4300 from Micron technology and want to put another 512mb stick in there.... but get confused with what people say on different sites on the net!!

Doesn't have to be the same brand but the same PC number so PC4300 for you.

I'm now running a 1Gig stick next to a 512 and now my house mate has 256 next to a 512.