ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Randomly not cranking

My car has been doing this for the past 3 weeks and its now really annoying me.

Essentially, on a completely random basis (i.e. hot/cold/morning/night and in various loactions) the car will refuse to start at all.

On the 2nd stage of the ignition all the lights illuminate and then extinguish as they should, including the immobiliser light, however when you turn the key fully into the start position, nothing happens.

There is no sound at all, absolutely nothing happens.

It went into the garage yesterday to look at this and typically started perfectly for them all day so they had no way of tracing the fault. From what i can gather no fault codes were thrown either.

It started fine for me all day today on a number of occasions, yet tonight did it when i wanted to nip out - turn they key and nothing, i tried it a few times and got nothing, waited a couple of minutes, came back to the car and it started, so it appears to be completely random.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Someone has suggested TPS sensor - but surely if this was the case the car would at least crank?

Tom

182, SQ7, Trafic
It'll be an earth wire shorting out I'd reckon, I had it twice on two different earths!

Starter motor beginning to give up? Mine started off occasionally not working with all the symptoms you've described but over time it got worse and it's got to the point where it happens on a daily basis.

Megane dci 130
My phase 1 started doing this the other day, I cleaned the crud off the white signal wire to the stater. Bin ok up to now. It could also be the motor getting tight though.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Starter motor beginning to give up? Mine started off occasionally not working with all the symptoms you've described but over time it got worse and it's got to the point where it happens on a daily basis.

If it is happening as often as that, could be worth-while getting it looked at, then possibly have a solution to fixing/preventing it on here. ;)

Cheers for the responses so far guys.

What i cant understand is how it started for the garage perfectly all the time it was with them. Completely typical.

When looking at ti myself, the main issue seems to be that the starter motor is so innaccsessible. From the top you have to get through the manifold, and from the bottom theres a steering rack in the way.

I couldnt even successfully remove the heatshield to get a good look at it.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
mine does this on the occastion, check the spade connection on the starter motor clean it up a little and that may sort it out, if not then the starter is on its way out.

Various
Is the connection on the starter motor tight? It might have worked lose so much and gotten stuck, so it feels tight when its not. We have seen that before.

The spade connector that is on the top right as you look at it from underneath was the only thing i could really get my hand on from underneath and it seemed to be securly in place.

As i mentioned access is a nightmare as im sure your well aware.

Whne the car goes back to the garage for the aux belt i'll have to get it looked at properly.

If it is happening as often as that, could be worth-while getting it looked at, then possibly have a solution to fixing/preventing it on here. ;)

Mine's definitely the starter motor mate, it's due down at Birchdown at the end of the month for a replacement starter motor.

Cheers for the responses so far guys.

What i cant understand is how it started for the garage perfectly all the time it was with them. Completely typical.

When looking at ti myself, the main issue seems to be that the starter motor is so innaccsessible. From the top you have to get through the manifold, and from the bottom theres a steering rack in the way.

I couldnt even successfully remove the heatshield to get a good look at it.

Lol That's sods law, mine did the same thing when ever anyone looked at it, even when I had to call the AA out to it because it wouldn't start, I was messing about with it for a good 40minutes until he arrived as soon as he did, it fired up :rolleyes:

It's a pain in the arse to remove/replace due to it's position, from what I've read most get to it from underneath the car but some have a way of getting to it from the top.

Focus RS mk1
take the spade connector off the starter and clean it up with little sand paper, had exactly same problem few weeks ago now and its been perfect ever since. might be an idea to disconnect the battery before you do it or sparks will probably fly lol

This is getting stranger.

I've now realised that when the car wont crank, you can usually get it to do so, by holding the ignition in the start position, despite it not doing anything, and then either just putting it into gear (not moving the car at all)

or if that doesnt work roll the car forward ever so slightly in first, just to the point that the engine takes up compression.

They key has to be held in the start position during this time, but that fact it will 8/10 fire from something as simple as just putting it into a gear (with the clutch in) is very strange.

Is this sounding more like a bad earth?

If you take a glance at post #8 mate you'll see its one of the first things i checked when the car first started doing this.

And as i said in post #8 it does appear to be on very tight indeed and free from excessive amounts of contaminants and dirt.

Focus RS mk1
If you take a glance at post #8 mate you'll see its one of the first things i checked when the car first started doing this.

And as i said in post #8 it does appear to be on very tight indeed and free from excessive amounts of contaminants and dirt.

it may be tight and look free from dirt but until you remove it and look at the connecting surfaces then you wont actually know for sure. mine looked clean but since removing and cleaning up the connecting sufaces it has been fine. not missed a beat