ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rapid Saab

On my way to blackpool on the Mway with my g.f. when I see a saab in the rear view mirror right up my arse.. So my g.f. says when theres no cars in front leave him for dead... I turn to her and say nah saabs can be quite rapid and wouldnt have a problem staying with me..

So I let him fly pass me.. I look at his reg plate and its sayin something like go saab (cant recall how it was spelt) Anyway I decided to catch him up at 12* mph and the suddenly its like sadams lunched a scud missile up his arse the saab was fekin rapin...

we got of the motorway and I carried on following him but this thing was fekin scary.. it was sooooo fast!! and wanted to have a play but to much traffic plus the missus was naging me..

The car was an estate with Saab 95 ..Are these things highly tuneable..I must say all credit to the car...

Could be an Aero, is which case, it would have shafted you like it did !

These things top out at about 150 mph

Well, pretty much all Saabs are turbos, so they have very good pull!

Was it newish? The quickest current production Saab estate would be the 9-5 2.3 HOT Aero Estate which does 0-60 in 6.9 and I bet has a hell of a lot more midrange pull than a 172, so it could be that. (the non estate version is 6.5 to 60)

Silver Fabia vRS

Saabs are nice cars, especially the Aero versions, go like stink as a mate of mine has the 9-3 Aero. Quicker than a 172 from standstill and midrange.

My dad had one of the original Saab 900 Turbos and once it had spun up that was a quick mota for its day.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

ben my mates dad has one of those, its been tuned to almost 300bhp. My mate picked me up in it when his dad was away and its fast as foook. Shame he had no insurance!

The older saabs (generation before the ones which have just come out) are based on vauxhalls, they are really poor around corners, struggle with 200bhp but they sold some with 250bhp! There is also abbott racing which modifys them.

my rents r looking at the new saab 9-3 2.3T wid 210 bhp and it dont hang around. bout 6.5 to 60 and gud for bout 155mph. it even gets there in style

A lot of people tune Saabs becuase the majority have always been turbos (in fact all Saabs since 1997 are turbos). They seem to attract the more mature tuner who doesnt like the in-your-face image of something like an M5.

Mind you, most are unfeasibly rapid even without tuning. My mate had just picked up a 3.0 V6 TD Saab 9-5 and that goes like stink - but not as quick as my Valver!

I used to have a 900 turbo (pre-Vauhall floor plan, so it handled very well)

0-60 not that brilliant and only 130 top end but they were geared up for the safest overtaking acceleration from 30 to 70 mph, which is when you need it.

At those speeds you could easily overtake in 4th or 5th (was quicker than a Tesserossa at those speed according to top gear).

Shame it kept blowing engines and gear boxes really

VW Potato

the 900 (91 - 97ish) was based on Vauxhall and it was an awful car to drive. The 900 from the 60s - 90s was pure Saab.

The 9000 was based on the Type Four platform and shared a chassis with the Fiat Croma, the Lancia Thema and the Alfa 164. Notice how the Saab, the Fiat and the Lancia all share the same doors and windscreen too I think. The Alfa only shared the platform, the rust-proofing and the torque steer.

My dad had a 9000 Turbo, 220bhp - maddo motor, just would not stop accelerating like a nuke missile at all speeds. Cracking car.

g

The old 9-3 (up to 2002) was just the same car as the later 900 that had the Vauxhall Calibra genes.

Contrary to popular myth, the 9-5 is based on the old 9000 - not the Omega!

guy at work has a late 900 turbo (last before the 9 3 was released) its modded upto about 260bhp and when its moving it goes well but is crap from standstill cus it spins the front tyres trying to pull away and by his own admission he had his ass kicked severly by a mk2 172 down a twisty a road:D