ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rather strange problem :/

OK so I have an 03 Clio 1.4 16v. I bought it from me dad who bought it from me sister after an accident wrote off his car an he needed it temporarily for work an she needed to get rid (me an me dad work together for the same company).

As far as I can tell it has only had usual maintenance and sumat to do with wishbones done (as far as me parents can remember) as well as the coils replaced, as is expected apparently, since it rolled off the line.

The cambelt went on me dad at 80mph and on taking the head off, we discovered it had taken out 12 of the 16 valves and the remaining 4 only looked straight (there was no real way of gettin em checked without spending money (that I don't have lol))

After that through engine started producing a horrible knocking noise after managing to keep up wit a Civic Type R (and very proud of the ol girl for it). Discovered that was a big end and managed to swing a replacement engine paid for by the company (we figured it just about qualified as maintenance lol)

Shortly after that some tw*t drove into the side of me on a staggered crossroads (totally her fault) but as the first body repairers wanted around 1200 to fix a 1800 quid motor, the company dealing wit the claim (ClaimFast = idiots lol) tried writing my lovely car off.

Anyways after 2 months I finally got my car back fixed up nicely and with all matching paintwork :)

Now comes my problem. I've had the car back for about 2 months approx and had some nice 5 spokes fitted (best 120 the company ever paid for "tyres" lmao) but since coming back from the body repairers it had the amber engine management fault light (I think?) on. One of the technicians said they'd get it on diagnostics for me but I had the missus wit me an she was preggers an hungry so asked if I could return later which was fine. Anyways the light was out after that an the guy said come back if the light comes back on, which it did. But then me missus went in to labour before I got there lol.

Long story shortened, after Paternity Leave etc I finally got the car to the body repairers (had to be done due to violent hesitation) they put it on diagnostics which apparently didn't do print outs but reported "speed sensor" fault but no fault "code" apparently. The technician wasn't sure what it was anyway.

Got it to the guys that did the engine an they put it on diagnostics and told me the same, "speed sensor" fault. Along with the fact of hesitation the garage owner said it was the TDC/Crankshaft Position Sensor and after b**chin about the fact I was supposed to pay 25 quid for the diagnostic (with no money in my pocket but more importantly an engine under the hood still under warrantee) he said that they use all the sensors etc from my engine and just the main bits from the donor and if I wanted it done just to take it back to him.

So I got a new sensor and fitted it (lol) and the light went out for a bit. But then the hesitation came back and the light followed ?!?

I read on here and in me Haynes manual it could be vacuum leak. Had previously had issues with losing the little locking tabs off the vacuum hose on the throttle body end (electronic throttle body) but also the unit the other end goes into (behind the bumper but in front of the inner arch liner) got broke a little when I was forced off the road by a rather large construction lorry (sad face). So I used a Stanley and cut a little of the rubbery sheath stuff on the elbow that goes into the throttle body and used that as a washer/o-ring/clamp kinda jobby lol. Anyways it sealed it nicely and the throttle response and engine performance have both increased no end. However the hesitation has happened once or twice (maybe more but not sure) since!! :(

What the hell????!!

HELP???!! lol

Btw I've bodged a couple of bracket things to keep the vacuum hose in before, so that coupled with my new o-ring thing means I can pretty much guarantee it's sealed (unless someone tells me it can't possibly be, in which case I can but check lol)

Last edited:
And fyi my whole friggin life would make a fantastic low budget movie lol. Bout as low budget as my life so far actually lol. The only saving grace for me is the fact the company pay for any and all maintenance, just not a replacement car :/ lol

I would check the vacuum pump is sealed properly, if your 'bodges' haven't sealed it properly it will be a new vacuum pump and carbon filter (the bit the pump goes into)

mine did this for about a week with no lights on dash and found that the vacuum pump kept popping off, so I heated the bit at the top of the carbon canister to make it sit tight again and voila! fixed lol

Is the vacuum pump and/or carbon filter in the right hand (n/s) arch? And if so is it sealed completely by the black plastic casework or sealed internally also, as the thing is flapping about a bit after bein half smashed by bein forced off the road by that damn tipper :(

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
What sort of company do you work for, that pays for a new set of wheels and presumably pays you cash in hand judging by your other thread?

The right hand side of a car is the offside, left hand side is nearside, just so you don't end up ordering the wrong parts.

They didn't pay for wheels, they paid for "tyres", and I get paid into an account that me mum opened for me to use. Think I mentioned that in the other thread lol.

Lack of ID to open an account if anyone was wondering lol

And I thought nearside was drivers side, cause it's like "near" the driver?

Anyways thanks for the help Owen. It's good to know people read half threads an then try to help wit the nearside/offside thing :)

Not that I know what parts to even order. But thanks.

:p

Last edited:
  Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Nearside is the side nearest the kerb. All makes sense when you are in the trade working on right hand drive and left hand drive vehicles.