ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ratteling when comming to a stop

Vantage
I have a 1.4 16v

when im slowing down coming to a stop on speeds over 20, my steering wheel seems to rattel and shake.. my pedals also vibrate a little too...

anyone know what this could be and how it could be fixed?

Vantage
i have the rears done... so i guess its time for the fronts?

but could this be anything to do with the fact that my wheels aren't balanced?

Black 197
i have the rears done... so i guess its time for the fronts?

but could this be anything to do with the fact that my wheels aren't balanced?

It's a possibly but im betting its warped discs tbh mate... If the wheels weren't balanced then you would have the vibration/wobble pretty much constantly especially at higher speeds, Warped discs however will cause the steering to vibrate/wobble under braking so my bets there with the issue your experiencing

Black 197
^^ Any brakes will warp given the right heat, Its how there used and obviously how old the brakes are.. Older the disc the more fragile it becomes

182, SQ7, Trafic
^^ Any brakes will warp given the right heat, Its how there used and obviously how old the brakes are.. Older the disc the more fragile it becomes

Thought so, Andy GDI/KT said you couldnt, I'm fairly sure mine are too!

Black 197
LOL Dude i used to be a coach driver before taking a promotion, Was running very late so was hacking it as fast as i could, Took a detour and ended up going down this massive hill, Must of been a mile long and at the bottom after taking the coach past 70mph and trying to stop it all that way i had cooked the brakes to fook, It had to be towed as the brakes were that destroyed, My best mate is a mechanic at the depot so i helped replace the discs.. They were totalled....

Vantage
i think you are right.. but ill get it check over with a mechanic tomorrow..

it dont happen when the clutch is down and when driving at slow speeds

182, SQ7, Trafic
Rossy - I believe you and always thought it was possible, Andy said you couldn't do it and as everyone goes by his "expert" advice, thought it may of been right!

Titanium 182
Could well be the CV boot is split/clip is off as said above.

Check for grease underneath your car near the shafts.

a burnt one
In the 3 years i owned a clio i had 2 sets of warped discs so it can definitely be done.

Take the car out of gear at 20mph somewhere quiet and let it slow down without braking, if it doesn't wobble then it will be the brakes.

Vantage
found out the problem...

breaks are seized..
so the
break calliper needs to be stripped down...
break pads and disk need to be changed

quoted £120.. any good?