ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RDH's R56 Cooper S

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Mini called me today and said it's having a new cylinder head, so I'll be with the BMW for a couple more days. When I pick the Mini up I'm going to spec a 3 series up and see whats what.

New cylinder head? Did they say what was wrong and why it needed a new one?

The more I read about these cars the more I think they are just crap - sorry - it doesn't even seem to be down to how it was looked after or full service history etc as they still go wrong even if they have ALL that stuff - they just HAVE to have warranty or can leave you well out of pocket... Most cars only go wrong if you don't look after them but those seem to still go wrong even if looked after by a saint - yours is a case in point here as from what you've said it's well looked after and has had all major work etc etc done by BMW...

What a shame as they look pretty cool -Go for the f30 I recon!!!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Got the car back today.

Basically the problem was coking, which if you know anything about these cars is a big problem. And from everything the have told me, the engine has basically eaten itself. A bent piston, scorched bearings...

The result being the engine has basically been rebuilt so all should be well. Need to buy an OCC to try and limit further coking issues.

Result being the car feels a lot livelier and in general it just runs a slot smoother.

260% JCW
Glad you've got it sorted mate.

I've just purchased a double oil catch can (one for each breather) which should help prevent this, also a friend who works on them says the cars that are driven properly seem to carbon up less then cars that are used for short trips to the shops ect.

Coking is a massive issue on most if not all cars with direct injection mate, Audi, BMW ect. You've just been very unlucky.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you've got it sorted mate.

I've just purchased a double oil catch can (one for each breather) which should help prevent this, also a friend who works on them says the cars that are driven properly seem to carbon up less then cars that are used for short trips to the shops ect.

Coking is a massive issue on most if not all cars with direct injection mate, Audi, BMW ect. You've just been very unlucky.

Cheers dude. Luckily I have a van for short trips. And I missed out on the TM GB for the catch cans so I'm going to email him and get one shipped myself!

260% JCW
Cheers dude. Luckily I have a van for short trips. And I missed out on the TM GB for the catch cans so I'm going to email him and get one shipped myself!

Luckily i managed to get one of those cans. The quality and price for a double OCC with filter is top notch, Well worth it mate.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Gutted for you mate, cant believe its had such bad luck.

Fancy a GP? :rasp:

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you mate, cant believe its had such bad luck.

Fancy a GP? :rasp:

Unlucky would be an understatement. Main point being that come the new year once all the niggles are sorted the car will be spot on and it won't have cost me a penny.

You not getting on with the GP mate? I adore them but if I buy another Mini I will 100% die at the hands of the other half.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I still wish I had the BMW! I specced one up when I picked mine up, and even though I'd get my money back on the Mini and with discount, I still couldn't justify the price. In 2/3 years they will be an absolutely brilliant buy.

And I do miss the 182 sometimes, but I think I've moved on from french cars tbh. Only a V6 would tempt me back.

When it works properly the Mini is a brilliant car. And since the rebuild it is pulling like a train now.

Megane r26
I love the minis an yours looks great too but hearing stories like this really put me off them. I've only ever drove an worked on earlier cooper s's when I worked for stratstone an they were a hoot

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Nah dude, I love the GP, its been faultless. Just passed its MOT with no advisories, it had a hard trip out to the the ring a month or so back too.

Just bought a house and it needs totally renovating throughout, need the money out of the GP if I want to go in and do a propper job of it.

Going to get it up for sale in the next week or so.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
An R32 mate.

My problems with it have been well documented, hence I've had to wait until they'd sorted everything out and it was spot on before I could advertise it. It has ruined the experience for me.

Plus I've changed roles at work and I need a big boot and the one in this is just none existant.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah fair one, nice choice assuming you have either shares in shell or arnt doing many miles

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be doing a fair bit but I get a decent allowance. I've done 6 years in a van for my commute, thought I'd treat myself ha.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
5 door mate, more practical and I prefer the look of them over the 3 door.

And thanks Dan mate.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah MK5 mate.

And yeah it is a shame, it's a lovely car but I just feel I've had my opinion of it tainted by all the problems. I'm constantly listening for things etc, which is daft because it's all been fixed under warranty and it runs perfect now. Hopefully someone else can enjoy it!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say MiniTorque is the best website for information. Although I've yet to find a Mini forum that has a decent community.

May aswell update on the car while I'm here. I was still having issues starting the car so back in it went under warranty. Turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump, which is a common problem and mine was on the original. When I got it back the car was runnin perfect, I actually started to enjoy it and the problem free motoring. And then I stupidly lent the car to my mum who in turn smashed into an enormous pot hole and now I've got a knocking from the front end. Back into BMW on the 1st of March. The car is still up for sale, just want this niggle fixed before I let it go.

MINI FJCW
Good to hear, tis a shame really, if it was 6 months further down the line, I would of probably taken it off your hands, lovely spec, & nicely modded at a cracking price.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Not sold yet, although my time with it is very close to the end.

It's replacement has a rather lovely set of heated Recaro bucket seats :)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, you haven't by any chance dropped a 3.2 V6 in there have you? That could interest me!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
vw-golf-hatchback-petrol_9901054.jpg

Will they fit?