ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear cage decisions

1.2 2003 clio
Just been to TRAX and had an ace day, really well enjoyed. Spoke to a few people around the other clio orientated stands and I see quite a few running the eBay cages.
I almost clicked buy now but couldn't quite do it. Now I've also seen the safety devices rear cage with harness bars I quite like but it's over £300 more.
The car is going to be a weekend toy with short track sessions for now. Building up to bigger track days eventyally.
So I'm just looking for some advice from some of the more experienced of you weather paying the extra is worth it in terms of safety or are the ebay cages up to standard with what I'm looking to do??

RB 182
I dont believe there has been definitive proof either way bit the general consensus is that in the event of a crash the proper one will be a lot safer due to using proper materials.

An ebay one may protect you a little however people seem to believe there is a risk of it potentially breaking on the event of a crash and doing more harm than good.

I will add to this that i am in a similar position to you regarding buying a cage and must admit i have been tempted by the ebay price tag but i think i am going to hold out and save up for a Safety devices one.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Safety Devices half cage on order with Mark Fish. I toyed with the idea of getting a cheaper 'eBay' one but after lots of consideration, it's there to potentially save your life.

If you're already spending £300, you may as well take it to the £450 for the one that's been designed and developed to save your life not one that's just replicating that and could cause you many problems.

I think it's a simple choice when you factor that in, regardless of whether you're doing one track day a year or 20.

172 Turbo
Clio is pretty strong anyway, it'd be low on my list for the odd track day so if that way inclined, I'd go for an eBay cage.

If it's a proper full time track car, then I'd be putting a full cage in and not using it on the road due to the safety compromise.

dan's cast offs.
whatever you go for look at how they fit in the car, some don't follow the body line at all and seen others that have about 3" clearance over the top hoop.

1.2 2003 clio
Cheers for the advice.
Safety devices seem to always come up top of the list. And by the looks of things I can convert from a rear cage to a full cage later on if I wish?. Also I'm guessing mark fish is the guy to get in contact with then?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Cheers for the advice.
Safety devices seem to always come up top of the list. And by the looks of things I can convert from a rear cage to a full cage later on if I wish?. Also I'm guessing mark fish is the guy to get in contact with then?
Correct.
I run a SD read cage, and have the option to add in the front section whenever I want. The front section is a little more expensive than the rear though, so bear that in mind.

On the eBay/SD cage debate, I am firm believer in if you're going to do it, do it right. SD are tried and tested and last in a crash. I'm not skilled enough to understand whether the eBay cages are built to the correct standard with the right materials, so played it safe.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I dont believe there has been definitive proof either way bit the general consensus is that in the event of a crash the proper one will be a lot safer due to using proper materials.

I think the proof is that all the motorsport governing bodies will only accept seamless tube.
As you say, a cheap one (that uses ERW) will likely be better than none, but its that freak random accident where a seam splits and rather than protecting you, the cage impales you!

RB 182
I think the proof is that all the motorsport governing bodies will only accept seamless tube.
As you say, a cheap one (that uses ERW) will likely be better than none, but its that freak random accident where a seam splits and rather than protecting you, the cage impales you!
Oh yeah without a doubt, chances are you will be fine and it will protect you more than not having one at all, but is it a chance you want to take.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough, not MSA approved material but still better than some of the alloy rubbish that you see being advertised as a 'show cage'

Does the guy not offer to do them in CDS at an increased price?

1.2 2003 clio
After looking into it properly and your advice on here an sd cage seems to be the best choice. Not only for myself but if anything was to happen with a passenger in due to a cage failure the £300 difference seems like nothing.