ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear load sensor - failed MoT

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys

i know there's been a lot written about this previously however my car has just failed
the mot because of it.

i have the 172 cup that has the sensor fitted but with no 'actuating arm' (according to the VOSA document) The bloke is saying my Clio HAS the actuating arm but no 'linkage' he claims its fell off. Is he talking a load of crap or is he right? Are the 'linkage' and the 'actuating arm' not the same thing??

I have shown him the document VOSA released detailing this issue but he isn't budging???

looking for a swift response on this one please people!!

thanks a lot

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate.

Yes 172 cup. And yes shown him that article from VOSA.

so is the 'rod' the same thing as the 'linkage' or 'actuating arm'?

so you're saying the 172 doesn't use the sensor at all?

thanks

I had this years ago. In the end I took the cup elsewhere and paid another fee as the bloke wasn't having any of it whatsoever.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Indeed. the 172 doesn't even use the sensor, that's why the rod/arm is missing.

As I say, unless you're willing to cough up for another MOT where you could end up with the same issue, I'd call VOSA.

Clio 172 Cup
Well the MOT place eventually backed down but guess what... the car failed AGAIN!

This time because the Brake Efficiency is below 50% (48%)

FML. The bloke says it could be because the pads on the back are new as its the back thats showing very low values.

What the hell am I supposed to do now!?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Can you post up the results of the tests so we can have a look.

Alex and I were just saying the other day how the rear brakes are complete pants

Megane 225 f1
So why didn't he fail it for poor efficency in the first place?
Take it for a drive and just pull the handbrake up a touch to bed the pads in a bit

Clio 172 Cup
No idea why it didn't fail first time. He reckons cos I've put new pads on back since 1st test. Is that the best way to bed them? what about cable tying the valve?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cut your losses and go elsewhere. guy doesnt know about the load sensor on a 172 neither does he know about the dvla spec on the rear brakes

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Leave it and go elsewhere. The guy sound like he will not pass it. I can see him still not passing it even if you cable tie it up

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
He's an idiot. The VOSA clearly states in black and white that low brake efficiency on the rear IS NOT a reason to fail a 172 Cup.

You may have shown him the article, but he obviously knew better and ignored everything it had to say.

On that basis alone I'd go back and smash his face in for being a c**t.