ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Speaker Cables...

clio mk1 ph3
I have no experience with fitting audio cables as ive only just got my first car. I recently brought a sony head unit and some 6x9's, got my shelf made up, just need to carpet it. Ive now put the wire through to the rear of the car and have not connected either end. Im now put with this:

RearCables.gif

which i guess i just need to connect by clipping together??
I have also ended up with the cables at the head unit:

CablesFront.gif

But now my problem is how do i fit these to the head unit??
Im guessing they go into the audio out rear??

HeadUnitRearAudio.gif

but how? do i need connecters and if so what exact type and how much will they be??

thankssssss

mk2 ph1
OK, first pic the blue wires go onto those metal plates.

Second pic, i think these are wires for the channels on your headunit. They normally have 4 channel, for example mines 4x50watt. Which means at the back there are 4 sets of 2 cables that you can plug speakers into. If you only have 6x9s, then there will be 2 sets left which i think these are.

Third pic are holes for rca cables, these are used to connect an amp to your headunit, as your not using an amp you do not need to use these.

Hope that helps

clio mk1 ph3
I understand it a bit more now thanks, but still dont where i connect these wires:
RearSpeakerWires.gif

to the head unit. how do i connect them?

BackHeadUnit.gif

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The RCA connectors (marked rear output) are low level for connection to an amp.You cannot connect speakers here. The rear speaker outputs are in the 8-way multi plug shown in your picture. You can cut and connect here but it would be simpler to connect at the rear speaker points (having first disconnected the original speakers) this will make it easy to reverse when you sell the car.
The plain wire is positive and the striped one is negative. Get this right or they will sound terrible and you will loose your stereo image due to phase cancellation.
Don’t forget, the power handling on the 6x9s wont be the power they produce, that is determined by the head unit or amp. A 4x50 watt head unit actually produces about 5 watts per channel RMS,
Audio manufacturers use peak music power because it sounds more, and buyers brag about power numbers because they have been taken in.
Real world, I could put a 10 watt system together and blow away a so called 100watt one in spades, simply by correct matching of speakers and mounting them properly,..
Rear shelf speakers have one big drawback; they are working in "free air". That means the backs and the fronts can “see” each other and this kills the cones if you crank it up, and allows the sound wave produced at the front to effect the rear of the cones, cancelling the sound pressure wave…. NAFF..
If they were in sealed boxes they produce a better quality sound…think about it…when did you last see a pair of domestic speakers mounted on a plank standing in the corner of a room ???