ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a UV and polorizing filter for D60

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
really!

i was after the polorizing one for looking through glass at colchester zoo

Fiat Panda 100hp
I bought a cokin (sp?) one for my stock lens, cost £20 I think and it's not noticeable it's on, unless getting nice blue skies.. the doesn't work though glass, think you may have to buy a more £££ hoya one or something to get the desired results.

vers le haut doigt milieu
Go to Jesops and get a an own brand they are ok I have both and they work well.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
seeing as you have not replied to my answer i won't bother looking - unlucky
have a box of filters at work - nearly all Nikon

I'll have all of them if your giveing them away!

U got a 52mm star filter?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

sorry i missed your original post!!

i dont now what size thread, its a nikon d60??

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
umm it says

sigma zoom 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 DC HSM (then an o with a line through it) 55

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have dropped a lens with a uv filter on... it smashed the filter and the filter scratched the f**k out of the lens glass... they dont always protect!

dk

911 GTS Cab
i have dropped a lens with a uv filter on... it smashed the filter and the filter scratched the f**k out of the lens glass... they dont always protect!
you do have a better chance with one on though, you have next to no chance if you don't have one on.

I had the opposite experience, i dropped mine and the filter broke saving the lens. Got a hood on now though for even more protection.

I have taken pics with and without it and can't see any image degradation so for me they are a must.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Definately, i did that in the meantime really wasnt the salty sugarbabe on the other hand yes maybe i went that lense would can i should.
I have a cheap one on mine. Does the job. IMO its essential

172 mk2 Iceberg
I get slight lens flair on very sunny days is shooting too much into the sun but else it just cuts the haze and protects the lenses

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hang on... uv filters do certain things... they dont just sit there and look pretty and protect it...

tbh if you drop a lense it probably will need to be re calibrated weather you think that it doesnt or not... u may drop a lens and take a shot and it will look fine, however there is probably some point in its focal range where it will be off!!! lenses DONT like being bounced! the lenses inside can shift... when assembled there is alot of time spent ensuring the internals are in perfect alignment... it doesnt take much to knock them out! so even though the filter may have saved you, i would still send it off to get it checked EVEN IF you have taken photos and they look fine!!!

uv filters should be used to cut down on uv lol, like if you go up a mountain and take photos do it with no uv filter and you will have a blue cast on your images, stick a uv on and it will cut out the blue cast.... but at sealevel there really isnt that much uv its pretty much scattered by the atmosphere...

at the same time you have to think... is sticking a £15 filter on the front of a £1000 lens really a good idea? i mean bet that £15 filter isnt anywhere near as clear as the end element on your lens lol... and its bound to reduce quality to a certain extent (weather you claim you can see a difference or not!!)

look at using a Tiffen 812 which is a slightly warming filter does a better job... or the 81b or a tiffen haze-1 and if u want a uv the hoya uv ones seem the best as cutting out uv from tests i have seen.

if you want a polarizer get a hoya circular polarizer

hang on... uv filters do certain things... they dont just sit there and look pretty and protect it...

tbh if you drop a lense it probably will need to be re calibrated weather you think that it doesnt or not... u may drop a lens and take a shot and it will look fine, however there is probably some point in its focal range where it will be off!!! lenses DONT like being bounced! the lenses inside can shift... when assembled there is alot of time spent ensuring the internals are in perfect alignment... it doesnt take much to knock them out! so even though the filter may have saved you, i would still send it off to get it checked EVEN IF you have taken photos and they look fine!!!

uv filters should be used to cut down on uv lol, like if you go up a mountain and take photos do it with no uv filter and you will have a blue cast on your images, stick a uv on and it will cut out the blue cast.... but at sealevel there really isnt that much uv its pretty much scattered by the atmosphere...

at the same time you have to think... is sticking a £15 filter on the front of a £1000 lens really a good idea? i mean bet that £15 filter isnt anywhere near as clear as the end element on your lens lol... and its bound to reduce quality to a certain extent (weather you claim you can see a difference or not!!)

look at using a Tiffen 812 which is a slightly warming filter does a better job... or the 81b or a tiffen haze-1 and if u want a uv the hoya uv ones seem the best as cutting out uv from tests i have seen.

if you want a polarizer get a hoya circular polarizer

+1, just learn how to take care of your kit and you won't have to use a Uv filter to protect ur lense. still wouldn't mind a free 52mm star filter tho...

Yep, my work mate dropped some L glass with a filter on and it cracked and also scratched the front element of the lens.

Camera insurance FTW to be honest.